Randomizing behavioral measures in Inquisit 5

Author
barnhart135
Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello!

I have merged two scripts, one for a go no/go task and another for a n-back task, into one for a study I am running. The last issue is I need to figure out how to randomize the presentation of these two tasks. Does anyone have any leads/code on how to do this?

Thanks a ton!

Wes
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
barnhart135 - 1/18/2021
Hello!

I have merged two scripts, one for a go no/go task and another for a n-back task, into one for a study I am running. The last issue is I need to figure out how to randomize the presentation of these two tasks. Does anyone have any leads/code on how to do this?

Thanks a ton!

Wes

Typically, you don't want or need to merge scripts. You can simply keep them separate and instead run them in either fixed or random order via a <batch> script as in

<batch>
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

for random ordering or e.g.

// go-no go first
<batch>
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

// n-back first
<batch>
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ groupassignment = groupnumber
</batch>

if you want to systematically counterbalance task order by group ID.

https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/elements/batch.htm

barnhart135
barnhart135
Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)Associate Member (136 reputation)
Hi--

This is helpful. Where would I include this script at (i.e., which script would I save it to)? 

<batch>
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

Just as a quick background: I am link participants from Qualtrics to complete these two measures, using an online sample. Would this still work with this style of study? So, for example, I am not running participants in the lab, and they must complete a Qualtrics portion first.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
barnhart135 - 1/18/2021
Hi--

This is helpful. Where would I include this script at (i.e., which script would I save it to)? 

<batch>
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

Just as a quick background: I am link participants from Qualtrics to complete these two measures, using an online sample. Would this still work with this style of study? So, for example, I am not running participants in the lab, and they must complete a Qualtrics portion first.

The batch element(s) go in a separate script file, call it e.g. "batch.iqx" and store it alongside the two actual scripts (the go/no-go and n-back). You then upload all files -- the batch script, the two task scripts, and any other files those scripts need such as images -- and then you select the batch script as the experiment's start script via the dropdown menu in your online experiment's settings.

> I am link participants from Qualtrics to complete these two measures, using an online sample. Would this still work with this style of study?

Yes, this works just fine on the web. For interoperating with Qualtrics, see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/interopsurveys.htm under "Sending Subject IDs from 3rd Party Site to Inquisit" and "Configuring Inquisit to Receive IDs from a 3rd Party Web Site".

barnhart135
barnhart135
Dave - 1/18/2021
barnhart135 - 1/18/2021
Hi--

<batch>
/ file = "gonogo.iqx"
/ file = "nback.iqx"
/ selectionmode = random
</batch>

The batch element(s) go in a separate script file, call it e.g. "batch.iqx" and store it alongside the two actual scripts (the go/no-go and n-back). You then upload all files -- the batch script, the two task scripts, and any other files those scripts need such as images -- and then you select the batch script as the experiment's start script via the dropdown menu in your online experiment's settings.

> I am link participants from Qualtrics to complete these two measures, using an online sample. Would this still work with this style of study?

Yes, this works just fine on the web. For interoperating with Qualtrics, see https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/interopsurveys.htm under "Sending Subject IDs from 3rd Party Site to Inquisit" and "Configuring Inquisit to Receive IDs from a 3rd Party Web Site".

Thank you SO much! I think it's working!

All the best,
Wes
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search