Occasional error in stimulus presentation

Author
cmgreene
Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with an Inquisit Web script that I can't replicate. The experiment is fairly straightforward: participants are presented with a small number of yellow squares followed by a whole noise mask, and have to estimate the number of squares that were presented. Some participants running the task via Inquisit Web have reported that the mask is presented repeatedly but they are never shown the yellow square stimuli. I cannot replicate this problem via either Inquisit Lab or Inquisit Web, but it was reported by about 10% of pilot participants.

I'm fairly new to Inquisit, so it's possible that I've made a fairly basic error somewhere. I'd be very grateful for any advice - the script is attached.

Thanks!
Ciara

Attachments
Enumeration.iqx (202 views, 24.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

I'm having a strange problem with an Inquisit Web script that I can't replicate. The experiment is fairly straightforward: participants are presented with a small number of yellow squares followed by a whole noise mask, and have to estimate the number of squares that were presented. Some participants running the task via Inquisit Web have reported that the mask is presented repeatedly but they are never shown the yellow square stimuli. I cannot replicate this problem via either Inquisit Lab or Inquisit Web, but it was reported by about 10% of pilot participants.

I'm fairly new to Inquisit, so it's possible that I've made a fairly basic error somewhere. I'd be very grateful for any advice - the script is attached.

Thanks!
Ciara

The script is not useful without all files it requires to run. Please provide those
cmgreene
cmgreene
Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)Associate Member (177 reputation)
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

The script is not useful without all files it requires to run. Please provide those

Sorry, here they are!

Attachments
AbsoluteSizing_CC.iqx (176 views, 8.00 KB)
whitenoise2.jpg (195 views, 131.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

Thank you for the files. I am unable to reproduce the issue as well. (And there's no obvious mistake in the code.) Do you have the specific subject IDs for some of the participants who encountered this issue? I am wondering whether they might have made a mistake during the initial sizing procedure, resulting in square sizes too small to be effectively visible.
Edited 3 Years Ago by Dave
Dave
Dave
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

Thank you for the files. I am unable to reproduce the issue as well. (And there's no obvious mistake in the code.) Do you have the specific subject IDs for some of the participants who encountered this issue? I am wondering whether they might have made a mistake during the initial sizing procedure, resulting in square sizes too small to be effectively visible.

Hold off, I have an idea. Could you try with the attached revision and let me know if participants continue to encounter the problem?
Attachments
enumeration_rev.iqx (192 views, 25.00 KB)
cmgreene
cmgreene
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

Yes, participants 95275 and 12316 in the attached summary file. I can send over the raw files if that would help, though there's nothing to see really. 
I tried messing with the sizing procedure and setting the line to be very short, and the stimuli do become very small, but not invisible. They vary in size anyway, and it would actually take a lot of effort on the part of participants to get it wrong enough that the stimuli can't be seen. I'm stumped! 
Attachments
cmgreene
cmgreene
Dave - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

Hold off, I have an idea. Could you try with the attached revision and let me know if participants continue to encounter the problem?

Sure, I can try that tomorrow (it's pretty late here now). What did you change?

Dave
Dave
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

I've put in precautions to reset the stimulus presentation at the start of each trial. That should guarantee that all stimuli are indeed displayed, no matter what happened in any previous instance of the same <trial> element, i.e. whether a response occured after all stimuli, including the mask, had been presented, or before the mask. The latter case could theoretically lead to an issue where the stimulus presentation sequence omits something in that trial's next instance. I'm not sure that is what your participants were seeing, but it could be.

cmgreene
cmgreene
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Dave - 2/8/2021
cmgreene - 2/8/2021
Hello,

Thanks!
Ciara

Sorry, here they are!

I've put in precautions to reset the stimulus presentation at the start of each trial. That should guarantee that all stimuli are indeed displayed, no matter what happened in any previous instance of the same <trial> element, i.e. whether a response occured after all stimuli, including the mask, had been presented, or before the mask. The latter case could theoretically lead to an issue where the stimulus presentation sequence omits something in that trial's next instance. I'm not sure that is what your participants were seeing, but it could be.

Thank you, that seems to be doing the trick - no problems so far anyway!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search