Inquisit IAT data file

Author
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

The summary tag hasn't been created yet. However, there are a couple of options with the existing feature set.

1) If you don't want the raw data at all and just want a summary, you can add the /recorddata=false command to all of the blocks except the block named "summary". This block runs a single trial at the end of the IAT that reports the score to the participant. Remove the /recorddata=false and it will write a single line of data for each subject containing the D scores (and some other stuff).

2) If you want the raw data with a summary line at the end, you can simply remove the /recorddata=false from the summary block. This adds an extra line of data with the final D scores. Note that these scores are already available from the last row of data from the test trials, but using the summary block row might make it easier to extract that row at data analysis time.

-Sean

Kaarinen
Kaarinen
Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should've opened a new topic to this one, but  post it here for now :). Is the running D score calculated in the same way as in the SPSS script, that is, using the improved scoring algorithm? I'm going to run a ST-IAT, and it seems likely that for my purposes just obtaining the D score would be enough. The ST-IAT is based on the template on this website, unmodified (with the exception of categories and stimulus items, of course :)).

Thanks,

Kaarinen

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)

Kaarinen,

The ST-IAT sample script records a running, trial by trial calculation of the D score in the data file. To get the final score for a given participant, just check the value of the d score on the last row of data for that participant.

Regards,
Sean

Kaarinen
Kaarinen
Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Ok, so I take it that there's no absolute need for making a SPSS syntax for the ST-IAT, at least for obtaining the D score...

Admin
Admin
Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)Guru (6.6K reputation)

If all you want is D, then you don't need the SPSS syntax.

-Sean

dbeaton
dbeaton
Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)Associate Member (206 reputation)

I'm having problems with the picture IAT as well. I did what you suggested and downloaded the template, unzipped the files to a folder on my desktop, copied my pictures into the folder, and changed the file names in the script to my picture names. For some reason, it still gives me the error message "Unable to load the picture....Verify that the file exists and is of a supported format." The error only occurs for "pic1" and "key," (the first ones on each list)  and when I changed them to different pictures, it gave me the same error for the different first items. Does this mean that it's not the pictures themselves that are problematic, and I did something else wrong? Or are ALL my pictures messed up and the error message just tells me about whichever ones are first on the list? Either way, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

<item targetA>

/1 = "pic1.jpg"

/2 = "pic2.jpg"

/3 = "pic3.jpg"

/4 = "pic4.jpg"

/5 = "pic5.jpg"

/6 = "pic6.jpg"

/7 = "pic7.jpg"

/8 = "pic8.jpg"

</item>

<item targetB>

/1 = "key.jpg"

/2 = "ball.jpg"

/3 = "pencil.jpg"

/4 = "mug.jpg"

/5 = "cloud.jpg"

/6 = "lamp.jpg"

/7 = "table.jpg"

/8 = "tree.jpg"

</item>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

First make sure that all your picture files are indeed located in the same folder as your script. Second, double-check that the JPGs are encoded in RGB colorspace -- JPGs with CMYK color mode will not work properly (http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic3586.aspx).

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

Emily
Emily
Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)

Hi Sean,

We had the same problem as the user above, where the picture IAT (the inquisit 2 download version) doesn't provide any d measures. Is it possible to recover this data from a different script?

Thanks for your help.

Emily

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Hi Emily,

obviously I'm not Sean, but I hope you don't mind me responding to your question anyway. After all it's been hanging out unanswered for a few days now. The first thing to clarify is what exactly you mean by 'recovering data'. You're currently using one of the older IAT templates written for Inquisit 2. Since version 2 didn't have the capability to compute the IAT's D measure on the fly, data generated / collected with this script will indeed not contain the D measure -- Inquisit just can't do that. However, you may compute the D measure from the recorded latency data at any time with a suitable stats package. A SPSS command file for the older V2 IAT templates is available right here: http://www.millisecond.com/download/samples/v2/shortiat/shortiat.sps. Tony Greenwald also provides a SPSS syntax file at this site, which you should also be able to use (a few minor modifications might be necessary, though): http://faculty.washington.edu/agg/IATmaterials/Generic%20IAT.29Dec07.zip. Last not least, SPSS syntax for the newer, V3 IAT templates is available here: http://www.millisecond.com/download/samples/v3/IAT/IAT.sps.

Now, if you want to extend your existing script to automatically compute and record D when run with Inquisit 3, that is technically possible. You may refer to the V3 IAT templates to see how the computations are implemented and then try to transfer these into your existing V2 script. However, I believe the better option is to start with one of the available V3 templates (which has all the necessary computational stuff already in place) and recreate your IAT on that basis, i.e. enter your specifice stimulus items, instruction texts, etc. Hope this helps.

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,

~Dave

Emily
Emily
Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)Partner Member (518 reputation)

Fabulous. Thanks very much.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search