Video background changed from black to grey during experiment in Manikin Task

Author
joppekb
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I would like to use the Manikin task form the Millisecond test library. In this task, a video is used with a manikin walking and this video has a black background. The background is clearly black when I play the video in a media player. However, when this manikin video is playing during the experiment, the background changes to grey, which takes away from immersion in the experiment. I checked the background color during the video using an online tool and the video background is black when used in a media player and grey (RGB 15,15,16) during the experiment.

Changing the background to the same color (RGB 15, 15, 16) to match the manikin does not solve the problem, because in the experiment a manikin picture (with an actual black background) is replaced by the manikin video (which has the grey background in the video). The black background of the static picture then becomes clearly visible.

Could anyone give me pointers on why this is happening and how to maybe solve this issue?

Thank you in advance

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
joppekb - 3/23/2021
Hi,

I would like to use the Manikin task form the Millisecond test library. In this task, a video is used with a manikin walking and this video has a black background. The background is clearly black when I play the video in a media player. However, when this manikin video is playing during the experiment, the background changes to grey, which takes away from immersion in the experiment. I checked the background color during the video using an online tool and the video background is black when used in a media player and grey (RGB 15,15,16) during the experiment.

Changing the background to the same color (RGB 15, 15, 16) to match the manikin does not solve the problem, because in the experiment a manikin picture (with an actual black background) is replaced by the manikin video (which has the grey background in the video). The black background of the static picture then becomes clearly visible.

Could anyone give me pointers on why this is happening and how to maybe solve this issue?

Thank you in advance

Unable to reproduce this (the video background displays as black for me on all systems I've tried). The only other time I recall something similar happen to a different customer involved botched settings for the customer's graphics card driver. Same as here, in essence: https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/when-i-render-the-blacks-become-grey/

joppekb
joppekb
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 3/23/2021
joppekb - 3/23/2021
Hi,

Thank you in advance

Unable to reproduce this (the video background displays as black for me on all systems I've tried). The only other time I recall something similar happen to a different customer involved botched settings for the customer's graphics card driver. Same as here, in essence: https://creativecow.net/forums/thread/when-i-render-the-blacks-become-grey/

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your swift reply. I tried it on another computer and also did not have the issue. I will contact IT support from my university and ask if they can help me for this specific issue.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search