registration of participant's answers

Author
la_1985
Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Dave, 
I have some questions regarding the registration of participants’ data response in the data file.

I have two types of word stimuli: column “word”, and column “word_fillers”. Every 20 words of the “word” stimuli, one word of the “word_fillers” appears. The stimuli is coded as “norepeatword”. There’s 2 radiobutton questions (q1 and q2) for each stimuli. Responses are registered in the data file in columns “radiobuttons.q1.response” and radiobuttons.q2.response” for “word” and “radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response” and “radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response” for “word_fillers”. As you can see in the red lines, when the “word” trial ends, and the “word_fillers” begin, it still registers the response of the last “word” trial along with the new “word_fillers” trial, and vice versa. Is it possible to have one or the other register in the data sheet response, and how can I code it in the script?

My second question is the following, to each questions q1 and q2, there’s a “unknown word” checkbox. Some participants will mistakenly have answered q1 and q2 and have the unknown word checked. Is it possible to only register the “unknown checked word” if the checkbox is checked? And how can I code it?

I can also send you my script privately, 

Thanks for your help, very much appreciate it
Liz

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Hi Dave, 
I have some questions regarding the registration of participants’ data response in the data file.

I have two types of word stimuli: column “word”, and column “word_fillers”. Every 20 words of the “word” stimuli, one word of the “word_fillers” appears. The stimuli is coded as “norepeatword”. There’s 2 radiobutton questions (q1 and q2) for each stimuli. Responses are registered in the data file in columns “radiobuttons.q1.response” and radiobuttons.q2.response” for “word” and “radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response” and “radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response” for “word_fillers”. As you can see in the red lines, when the “word” trial ends, and the “word_fillers” begin, it still registers the response of the last “word” trial along with the new “word_fillers” trial, and vice versa. Is it possible to have one or the other register in the data sheet response, and how can I code it in the script?

My second question is the following, to each questions q1 and q2, there’s a “unknown word” checkbox. Some participants will mistakenly have answered q1 and q2 and have the unknown word checked. Is it possible to only register the “unknown checked word” if the checkbox is checked? And how can I code it?

Liz

The values of the radiobuttons.q1.response and radiobuttons.q2.response properties do not change during the word_filler trial, and that is exactly what the data reflects. It's the expected behavior. Use values if you do not want that and make sure to store the responses for q1 and q1_fillers in the same value, as well as the responses for q2 and q2_fillers in the same value.

Since you did not provide any actual code, it is impossible to answer your second question. I have no idea what you are referring to.

la_1985
la_1985
Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)Associate Member (210 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dave - 5/31/2021
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Hi Dave, 

Liz

The values of the radiobuttons.q1.response and radiobuttons.q2.response properties do not change during the word_filler trial, and that is exactly what the data reflects. It's the expected behavior. Use values if you do not want that and make sure to store the responses for q1 and q1_fillers in the same value, as well as the responses for q2 and q2_fillers in the same value.

Since you did not provide any actual code, it is impossible to answer your second question. I have no idea what you are referring to.

Thanks Dave, yes that makes sense, but I'm not sure how to do these changes. I have included my code here if you can help that would be great. 

#trials for word

<trial selectword>
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
  values.worditem = list.worditem.nextindex;
  values.q1default = "";
  values.q2default = ""]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [surveypage.trials;]
</trial>

<list worditem>
/ poolsize = 240
</list>

<surveypage trials>
/ ontrialend = [
  values.q1default = radiobuttons.q1.response;
  values.q2default = radiobuttons.q2.response;
  values.word = text.word.currentitem;
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=noreplacenorepeat(word)]
/ questions = [
  1 = radiobuttons.q1;
  2 = radiobuttons.q2;
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showquestionnumbers = false
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ navigationbuttonfontstyle = ("Arial", 2%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ showpagenumbers = false
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  if (!checkboxes.unknown.checked.1 && (radiobuttons.q1.response == "" || radiobuttons.q2.response == "")){
   surveypage.trials;
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

<trial recorddata>
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = true
</trial>

<radiobuttons q1>
/caption = "   How related is the word '<%text.word.currentitem%>' to an electric sensation?
"
/options=("Unrelated","Somewhat unrelated", "Somewhat related","Related")
/optionvalues=("1","2","3","4")
/fontstyle = ("Arial",2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
/defaultresponse = (values.q1default)
/orientation=horizontalequal
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons q2>
/caption = "What electric intensity is the word '<%text.word.currentitem%>' most related to ?
"
/options=("Unrelated", "Mild", "Intense")
/optionvalues=("1","2","3")
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 2.5%, false, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ required=false
/ defaultresponse = (values.q2default)
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

#trials for filler word
<trial selectword_fillers>
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
  values.worditem_fillers = list.worditem_fillers.nextindex;
  values.q1_fillers_default = "";
  values.q2_fillers_default = ""
]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  surveypage.trials_fillers;
]
</trial>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/ q1default = clearscreen
/ q2default = clearscreen
/ q1_fillers_default = clearscreen
/ q2_fillers_default = clearscreen
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<list worditem_fillers>
/ poolsize = 12
</list>

<surveypage trials_fillers>
/ ontrialend = [
  values.q1_fillers_default = radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response;
  values.q2_fillers_default = radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response;
    values.word_fillers=text.word_fillers.currentitem
]
/ stimulusframes = [1=noreplacenorepeat(word_fillers)]
/ questions = [
  1 = radiobuttons.q1_fillers;
  2 = radiobuttons.q2_fillers;
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  if (!checkboxes.unknown.checked.1 && (radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response == "" || radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response == "")){
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

<radiobuttons q1_fillers>
/caption = "   How related is the word '<%text.word_fillers.currentitem%>' to color?  
"
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
/defaultresponse = values.q1_fillers_default
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons q2_fillers>
/caption = "What intensity of color is the word '<%text.word_fillers.currentitem%>' most related to ?
"
/ required=false
/ defaultresponse = values.q2_fillers_default
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

<checkboxes unknown>
/ caption= ""
/ options= ("I don't know this word")
/ optionvalues = ("1")
/ required = false
/position= (20%, 80%)
/ defaultresponse = 0
</checkboxes>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<data>
/ columns = (date time subject group session blocknum blockcode checkboxes.consent.response values.code values.age values.sex values.education values.language values.handedness values.trialnum values.worditem values.worditem_fillers values.word values.word_fillers radiobuttons.q1.response radiobuttons.q2.response radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response checkboxes.unknown.response surveypage.trials.latency surveypage.trials_fillers.latency)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Dave - 5/31/2021
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Hi Dave, 

Liz

Thanks Dave, yes that makes sense, but I'm not sure how to do these changes. I have included my code here if you can help that would be great. 

#trials for word

<trial selectword>
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
  values.q1default = "";
  values.q2default = ""]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<list worditem>
/ poolsize = 240
</list>

<surveypage trials>
/ ontrialend = [
]
/ questions = [
  1 = radiobuttons.q1;
  2 = radiobuttons.q2;
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  if (!checkboxes.unknown.checked.1 && (radiobuttons.q1.response == "" || radiobuttons.q2.response == "")){
   surveypage.trials;
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

<trial recorddata>
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = true
</trial>

<radiobuttons q1>
/caption = "   How related is the word '<%text.word.currentitem%>' to an electric sensation?
"
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons q2>
/caption = "What electric intensity is the word '<%text.word.currentitem%>' most related to ?
"
/ required=false
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

#trials for filler word
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
]
</trial>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<list worditem_fillers>
/ poolsize = 12
</list>

/ ontrialend = [
]
/ questions = [
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  if (!checkboxes.unknown.checked.1 && (radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response == "" || radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response == "")){
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

/caption = "   How related is the word '<%text.word_fillers.currentitem%>' to color?  
"
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
</radiobuttons>

/caption = "What intensity of color is the word '<%text.word_fillers.currentitem%>' most related to ?
"
/ required=false
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

<checkboxes unknown>
/ caption= ""
/ optionvalues = ("1")
/ required = false
/position= (20%, 80%)
/ defaultresponse = 0
</checkboxes>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<data>
/ columns = (date time subject group session blocknum blockcode checkboxes.consent.response values.code values.age values.sex values.education values.language values.handedness values.trialnum values.worditem values.worditem_fillers values.word values.word_fillers radiobuttons.q1.response radiobuttons.q2.response radiobuttons.q1_fillers.response radiobuttons.q2_fillers.response checkboxes.unknown.response surveypage.trials.latency surveypage.trials_fillers.latency)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

That code is incomplete, it's not something I can work with.

Please attach a complete version (do not paste it into a post's body, use the file attachment feature).

Dave
Dave
Dave - 5/31/2021
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Dave - 5/31/2021
la_1985 - 5/31/2021
Hi Dave, 

Liz

#trials for word

<trial selectword>
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
  values.q1default = "";
  values.q2default = ""]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

<list worditem>
/ poolsize = 240
</list>

<surveypage trials>
/ ontrialend = [
]
/ questions = [
  1 = radiobuttons.q1;
  2 = radiobuttons.q2;
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
   surveypage.trials;
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

<trial recorddata>
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = true
</trial>

<radiobuttons q1>
"
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
</radiobuttons>

<radiobuttons q2>
"
/ required=false
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

#trials for filler word
/ ontrialbegin = [
  values.trialnum += 1;
]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 0
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
]
</trial>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<list worditem_fillers>
/ poolsize = 12
</list>

/ ontrialend = [
]
/ questions = [
  3 = checkboxes.unknown
]
/ showbackbutton = false
/ itemspacing=20%
/ recorddata = false
/ branch = [
  } else {
   trial.recorddata;
  }
]
</surveypage>

"
/required=false
/position= (16%, 30%)
</radiobuttons>

"
/ required=false
/position= (20%, 55%)
</radiobuttons>

<checkboxes unknown>
/ caption= ""
/ optionvalues = ("1")
/ required = false
/position= (20%, 80%)
/ defaultresponse = 0
</checkboxes>

<values>
/ trialnum = 0
/ worditem = 0
/ worditem_fillers=0
/ word = ""
/ word_fillers=""
/sex=0
/age=0
/education=0
/language=0
/handedness=0
/code=0
</values>

<data>
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

That code is incomplete, it's not something I can work with.

Please attach a complete version (do not paste it into a post's body, use the file attachment feature).

This has been resolved via private message since the full script is not supposed to be available publicly.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search