Participant numbers not assigned sequentially

Author
Diane
Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We are working on a sentence-picture verification study conducted through an online Inquisit experiment. We have four different counterbalance groups with equal participant distribution. However, now it seems the groups are made as intended, but the participant number is not sequential. The participant number is always equal to the group number (1 through 4). We selected “sequential” on the millisecond website and it seems we followed the proper procedure.

From another website (Qualtrics) we give the group number and send participants to one of our four experiment groups with a Millisecond link (groupid = URL parameter). From there, participants download and start the experiment.

Did we miss anything? I hope you can figure out why the participant number is not generated sequentially.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

Kind regards,

Attachments
Set1.iqx (152 views, 1.00 KB)
Set2.iqx (148 views, 1.00 KB)
Set3.iqx (142 views, 1.00 KB)
Set4.iqx (137 views, 1.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Diane - 6/24/2021
We are working on a sentence-picture verification study conducted through an online Inquisit experiment. We have four different counterbalance groups with equal participant distribution. However, now it seems the groups are made as intended, but the participant number is not sequential. The participant number is always equal to the group number (1 through 4). We selected “sequential” on the millisecond website and it seems we followed the proper procedure.

From another website (Qualtrics) we give the group number and send participants to one of our four experiment groups with a Millisecond link (groupid = URL parameter). From there, participants download and start the experiment.

Did we miss anything? I hope you can figure out why the participant number is not generated sequentially.

Kind regards,

You're asking a question about your study's online configuration. For anybody to answer that, you need to provide the link to the online study. The scripts have nothing to do with how subject IDs are generated.

Diane
Diane
Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

You're asking a question about your study's online configuration. For anybody to answer that, you need to provide the link to the online study. The scripts have nothing to do with how subject IDs are generated.

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:
https://mili2nd.co/n3zb
Is this the link you mean?

Thanks,
Diane
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:

Thanks,
Diane

Yes, that's the link. Thank you.

The settings are correct, but I can reproduce the issue, i.e. the group ID is somehow being re-used as the subject ID, which obviously should not be the case under any circumstances. We'll get that fixed and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Dave
Dave
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:

Thanks,
Diane

The settings are correct, but I can reproduce the issue, i.e. the group ID is somehow being re-used as the subject ID, which obviously should not be the case under any circumstances. We'll get that fixed and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Question:

Is it okay for me to take down the study and re-upload it? This would change the link, i.e. it wouldn't be at https://mili2nd.co/n3zb anymore, but under a different shortcode. Everything else would remain the same.

Diane
Diane
Dave - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:

Thanks,
Diane

Question:

Is it okay for me to take down the study and re-upload it? This would change the link, i.e. it wouldn't be at https://mili2nd.co/n3zb anymore, but under a different shortcode. Everything else would remain the same.

Yes, if that solves the problem, please do!

Dave
Dave
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:

Thanks,
Diane

Question:

I've created an exact copy in the account under the name "SentencePictureVerificationERASreupload". Its start page URL is

https://mili2nd.co/su2b?groupid=1234

This one should work as expected, i.e. sequentially generated subject IDs, group ID fetched from URL parameter. E.g. here's data from a test run with group ID set to 9999

Please leave the original experiment at https://mili2nd.co/n3zb online for the time being, so we can diagnose the exact cause of the problem. The issue does not appear to be easily reproducible, i.e. it does not show up when registering a new experiment with the exact same settings.

Thank you!

Diane
Diane
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021
Dave - 6/24/2021
Diane - 6/24/2021

Kind regards,

Hi Dave,

Yes of course:

Thanks,
Diane

Question:

I've created an exact copy in the account under the name "SentencePictureVerificationERASreupload". Its start page URL is

https://mili2nd.co/su2b?groupid=1234

This one should work as expected, i.e. sequentially generated subject IDs, group ID fetched from URL parameter. E.g. here's data from a test run with group ID set to 9999

Please leave the original experiment at https://mili2nd.co/n3zb online for the time being, so we can diagnose the exact cause of the problem. The issue does not appear to be easily reproducible, i.e. it does not show up when registering a new experiment with the exact same settings.

Thank you!

Thank you for solving this so quickly!
LTK
LTK
Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)Associate Member (181 reputation)
Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my experiment at https://mili2nd.eu/xj3b. It's also set to sequential subject id and group id numbering, but when I sent it out to people for testing, it skipped a lot of subject ids. I thought that the /groupassignment attribute might have something to do with this, but setting this to subjectnumber didn't appear to work. 

I read that if you open the link to the experiment, but don't actually start it, Inquisit assigns you a subject id anyway, even though it doesn't actually show up in the logs. However, my subject ids were numbered 3, 5 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 23, of which only 9, 10 and 11 I tested on my own computer. I also checked with the people who tested it for me and if they clicked the link more than once, it wasn't enough to explain this pattern.

Do I need to also reupload my experiment to fix this?
Dave
Dave
LTK - 9/9/2021
Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my experiment at https://mili2nd.eu/xj3b. It's also set to sequential subject id and group id numbering, but when I sent it out to people for testing, it skipped a lot of subject ids. I thought that the /groupassignment attribute might have something to do with this, but setting this to subjectnumber didn't appear to work. 

I read that if you open the link to the experiment, but don't actually start it, Inquisit assigns you a subject id anyway, even though it doesn't actually show up in the logs. However, my subject ids were numbered 3, 5 7, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 23, of which only 9, 10 and 11 I tested on my own computer. I also checked with the people who tested it for me and if they clicked the link more than once, it wasn't enough to explain this pattern.

Do I need to also reupload my experiment to fix this?

> Do I need to also reupload my experiment to fix this?

I'm not convinced there's anything to fix in your case -- "9, 10 and 11 I tested on my own computer" suggests the sequential generation is working as it is supposed to -- but you can certainly try if reuploading changes anything.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search