Audio and Photo stimuli with text response

Author
veera1997
Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi!

I'm trying to create an experiment that loosely imitates a conversation. I'd like to have photo stimuli that has audio playing silmuntaneously. After that I'd like to insert a textbox for the participants to reply and then have another audio + photo, then another textbox etc. I've tried to look through the tutorials but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance :)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
veera1997 - 7/5/2021
Hi!

I'm trying to create an experiment that loosely imitates a conversation. I'd like to have photo stimuli that has audio playing silmuntaneously. After that I'd like to insert a textbox for the participants to reply and then have another audio + photo, then another textbox etc. I've tried to look through the tutorials but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any tips?

Use a <trial> displaying a <picture> and <video> element to display the image and sound simultaneously. Follow that up with an <openended> trial for the textbox input. Repeat until done.
veera1997
veera1997
Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)Associate Member (104 reputation)
Dave - 7/5/2021
veera1997 - 7/5/2021
Hi!

Use a <trial> displaying a <picture> and <video> element to display the image and sound simultaneously. Follow that up with an <openended> trial for the textbox input. Repeat until done.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! Sorry, I'm still really new to inquisit, how does the script go for that?

Veera
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
veera1997 - 7/5/2021
Dave - 7/5/2021
veera1997 - 7/5/2021
Hi!

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! Sorry, I'm still really new to inquisit, how does the script go for that?

Veera

<block example>
/ trials = [1-4=sequence(playaudio,getresponse)]
</block>

<trial playaudio>
/ stimulusframes = [1=pic, audio]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 100
</trial>

<openended getresponse>
/ stimulusframes = [1=pic]
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture pic>
/ items = ("face.jpg")
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/ select = sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
/ 1 = "audio01.mp3"
/ 2 = "audio02.mp3"
/ 3 = "audio03.mp3"
/ 4 = "audio04.mp3"
</item>

veera1997
veera1997
Hi!

Thank you so much for your help. I got it to work (tried with one audio+pic+textbox), but now I don't know what I've done since I can't get it to work again.

<block strat1>
/ trials = [1-3=sequence(playaudio, getresponse)]
</block>

<trial OliviaWilson1>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Olivia_Wilson, OliviaWilson001]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

<openended getresponse1>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Olivia_Wilson]
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture OliviaWilson>
/ items = ("Olivia_Wilson.jpg")
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
/ 1 = "OliviaWilson001 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3"
/ 2 = "OliviaWilson002 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3"
/ 3 = "OliviaWilson003 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3"
</item>

Is there something wrong with the script? It keeps saying trial 1 is unassigned and "Could not locate element 'playaudio'. "
veera1997
veera1997
Sorry I figured it out actually! Thanks haha
Dave
Dave
veera1997 - 7/6/2021
Hi!

Thank you so much for your help. I got it to work (tried with one audio+pic+textbox), but now I don't know what I've done since I can't get it to work again.

<block strat1>
</block>

<trial OliviaWilson1>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

<openended getresponse1>
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture OliviaWilson>
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
/ 3 = "OliviaWilson003 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3"
</item>

Is there something wrong with the script? It keeps saying trial 1 is unassigned and "Could not locate element 'playaudio'. "

<block strat1>
</block>

There is no <trial playaudio> in your code anymore, and there isn't any <trial getresponse> either. You gave the trials different names, and obviously your code in the above will have to reflect that.

Similarly,

<trial OliviaWilson1>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

there is no stimulus of any kind called "OliviaWilson001" anywhere in the code you posted.
veera1997
veera1997
Sorry, I accidentally did not attach the full thing. This script works, but how do I get the next audio clip to play after the first response box? So far I've only gotten the audio to play at the same time, and if I Try to repeat it says "<trial playaudio> is defined more than once. "<openended getresponse> is defined more than once.". Sorry for all of these questions haha I've had no one to teach me. 

<sound OliviaWilson001>
/ items = ("OliviaWilson001 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3")
</sound>

<sound OliviaWilson002>
/ items = ("OliviaWilson002 (online-audio-converter.com).mp3")
</sound>

<picture Olivia_Wilson>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<block strat1>
</block>

<trial playaudio>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Olivia_Wilson, OliviaWilson001;]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

<openended getresponse>
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture OliviaWilson>
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
</item>

Dave
Dave
veera1997 - 7/6/2021
Sorry, I accidentally did not attach the full thing. This script works, but how do I get the next audio clip to play after the first response box? So far I've only gotten the audio to play at the same time, and if I Try to repeat it says "<trial playaudio> is defined more than once. "<openended getresponse> is defined more than once.". Sorry for all of these questions haha I've had no one to teach me. 

<sound OliviaWilson001>
</sound>

<sound OliviaWilson002>
</sound>

<picture Olivia_Wilson>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<block strat1>
</block>

<trial playaudio>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

<openended getresponse>
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture OliviaWilson>
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
</item>

The two sound elements are completely unnecessary and serve no purpose whatsoever. Just like in the example code I gave you, you do:

<trial playaudio>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Olivia_Wilson, audio]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

with

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
</item>
veera1997
veera1997
Dave - 7/6/2021
veera1997 - 7/6/2021

<sound OliviaWilson001>
</sound>

<sound OliviaWilson002>
</sound>

<picture Olivia_Wilson>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
</picture>

<block strat1>
</block>

<trial playaudio>
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

<openended getresponse>
/ size = (60%, 40%)
/ position = (50%, 90%)
</openended>

<picture OliviaWilson>
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%, 30%)
/ size = (20%, 20%)
</picture>

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
</item>

The two sound elements are completely unnecessary and serve no purpose whatsoever. Just like in the example code I gave you, you do:

<trial playaudio>
/ stimulusframes = [1=Olivia_Wilson, audio]
/ validresponse = (0)
/ trialduration = 7000
</trial>

with

<video audio>
/ items = audioitems
/ playthrough = true
/select=sequence
</video>

<item audioitems>
</item>

Hi again! Many thanks for all the help, this doesn't come naturally to me so I have a lot to learn.

One more thing: Using the same script, I now have 10 audio clips that are played in the experiment, but want to randomize the order of the audio clip so that audio clip 1 (i.e. OliviaWilson001) is always played first and then clips 2-10 are played in a randomized order. So far the only thing I've found is the noreplace function like this;

<video audio2>
/ items = audioitems2
/ playthrough = true
/select= noreplace
</video>

but this plays all the clips in a random order and I would need the one clip to be played first always and then the rest randomly. Hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search