Volume audiofiles

Author
Heidi Umbach Hansen
Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Heya, 

I am programming a trial where there there are two consecutive audio files:
1. An initial sequence demonstrating a rhythm pattern
2. A second sequence that is either on the beat, too early or too late (depending on the trial)

Everything works fine, except for the fact that the second sequence is perceived too be lower in volume than the first. Please note that settings for all audiophiles are identical, and I have run them through adobe audible to make sure loudness is the same for all files. 

Any idea as to why this might be?

Cheers,

Heidi

Example trial just in case (where initial_sequence and early1 denotes audiophiles/sound elements): 
/ ontrialbegin = [
    trial.early1.resetstimulusframes()
]
/ stimulustimes = [0=clearscreen, fixation, initial_sequence, early1; 10000=clearscreen, question, fortidlig, korrekt, forsent]
/ validresponse = (fortidlig, korrekt, forsent)
/ correctresponse = (fortidlig)
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Heidi Umbach Hansen - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

2. A second sequence that is either on the beat, too early or too late (depending on the trial)

Everything works fine, except for the fact that the second sequence is perceived too be lower in volume than the first. Please note that settings for all audiophiles are identical, and I have run them through adobe audible to make sure loudness is the same for all files. 

Cheers,

Heidi

Example trial just in case (where initial_sequence and early1 denotes audiophiles/sound elements): 
/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ stimulustimes = [0=clearscreen, fixation, initial_sequence, early1; 10000=clearscreen, question, fortidlig, korrekt, forsent]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

Please provide runnable code, including the respective audio files.
Heidi Umbach Hansen
Heidi Umbach Hansen
Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)Respected Member (434 reputation)
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

The code is attached, I get an error message saying I can't upload the audio file (it's a .wav file).

Attachments
example.iqx (132 views, 4.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

The code is attached, I get an error message saying I can't upload the audio file (it's a .wav file).

> I get an error message saying I can't upload the audio file (it's a .wav file).

Please put everything in a ZIP archive and attach the ZIP. If the ZIP file is too large, you can use e.g. https://wetransfer.com/ and post the download link.

The code alone is not useful here.

Heidi Umbach Hansen
Heidi Umbach Hansen
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

> I get an error message saying I can't upload the audio file (it's a .wav file).

Please put everything in a ZIP archive and attach the ZIP. If the ZIP file is too large, you can use e.g. https://wetransfer.com/ and post the download link.

Attachments
Example.zip (129 views, 3.00 MB)
Dave
Dave
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

Contrary to what you said, you're not actually playing two consecutive sequences. The two sequences are played concurrently, the first sequence ends after ~7 seconds, the second sequence continues to about 9 seconds, i.e. there are ~2 seconds where only the 2nd sequence is playing.

The same thing in a multi-track audio editor:

It's perfectly normal and expected for the doubled / overlapping audio portion to perceived as louder -- it actually is.

For that to not be the case, the 2nd sequence would have to be silent during the 1st 7 seconds.

Heidi Umbach Hansen
Heidi Umbach Hansen
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

Contrary to what you said, you're not actually playing two consecutive sequences. The two sequences are played concurrently, the first sequence ends after ~7 seconds, the second sequence continues to about 9 seconds, i.e. there are ~2 seconds where only the 2nd sequence is playing.

It's perfectly normal and expected for the doubled / overlapping audio portion to perceived as louder -- it actually is.

For that to not be the case, the 2nd sequence would have to be silent during the 1st 7 seconds.

Well, there you go - rookie mistake by me! Thanks anyway!

Dave
Dave
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Dave - 8/23/2021
Heya, 

Cheers,

Heidi

/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ pretrialpause = 1000
</trial>

Well, there you go - rookie mistake by me! Thanks anyway!

Just to clarify for those reading along, what playing back two perfectly identical waveforms at the same time does is increase the resulting sound wave's amplitude. That's why the part where the two waveforms are playing concurrently and perfectly overlap is actually louder and perceived as such.

Edited 3 Years Ago by Dave
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search