Question regarding placing dot in task

Author
BasE
Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey all,

I'm currently working on an attentional dot-probe task that is partially inspired by the alcohol dot probe task in the Inquisit library, but with my own code so it is easier for me to make adjustments.

The idea for the task is that two visual stimuli (positive and negative) are randomly presented (positions also being random), after which a probe is presented at the location of one of the stimuli. The task has two conditions;
- A control condition where the appearance of the probe is presented at random on the location of one of the stimuli
- An experimental condition where the probe is presented at the positive stimuli location 80 percent of the time.

Currently I have the majority of the task outlined, but I am still struggling with the commands on how to make the probe behave according to these conditions. Can someone give me some pointers on how to make this work? Many thanks in advance!

Attachments
CBM-A2.0.iqx (150 views, 2.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

I'm currently working on an attentional dot-probe task that is partially inspired by the alcohol dot probe task in the Inquisit library, but with my own code so it is easier for me to make adjustments.

The idea for the task is that two visual stimuli (positive and negative) are randomly presented (positions also being random), after which a probe is presented at the location of one of the stimuli. The task has two conditions;
- A control condition where the appearance of the probe is presented at random on the location of one of the stimuli
- An experimental condition where the probe is presented at the positive stimuli location 80 percent of the time.

Currently I have the majority of the task outlined, but I am still struggling with the commands on how to make the probe behave according to these conditions. Can someone give me some pointers on how to make this work? Many thanks in advance!

> Currently I have the majority of the task outlined, but I am still struggling with the commands on how to make the probe behave according to these conditions.
> Can someone give me some pointers on how to make this work?

This is a bit vague. Can you make it more concrete, please -- what are your specific questions? What portions of the code are you talking about?

BasE
BasE
Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)Associate Member (163 reputation)
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

> Currently I have the majority of the task outlined, but I am still struggling with the commands on how to make the probe behave according to these conditions.

This is a bit vague. Can you make it more concrete, please -- what are your specific questions? What portions of the code are you talking about?

Specifically the trial element.

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.
BasE
BasE
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.
In the trial element I have currently specified what order the trial should look like, like this:

<trial MyTrial>
/ stimulustimes = [0=clearscreen, fixation; 500=clearscreen, Positive_Images, Negative_Images; 1000=clearscreen, probe]
/ validresponse = ("Z", "/")
/ correctresponse = (Positive_Images)
</trial>

What issue I am currently facing is that whilst in /stimulustimes it is specified that the trial should show a probe in the end, it is currently not specified in the <text probe> element where that probe should appear coordinates-wise and what the distrubution of its location (showing up on the location of positive/negative stimuli) should be. Currently, it looks like this:

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", parameters.probe_height, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

What I am currently aiming for is that the probe is distributed to the ratio I have outlined in my first post, that is:

My main question is what the code would look like/what would have to be added in the <text probe> element to ensure those 2 conditions. I hope that's clear enough.

Dave
Dave
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.
In the trial element I have currently specified what order the trial should look like, like this:

<trial MyTrial>
/ stimulustimes = [0=clearscreen, fixation; 500=clearscreen, Positive_Images, Negative_Images; 1000=clearscreen, probe]
</trial>

What issue I am currently facing is that whilst in /stimulustimes it is specified that the trial should show a probe in the end, it is currently not specified in the <text probe> element where that probe should appear coordinates-wise and what the distrubution of its location (showing up on the location of positive/negative stimuli) should be. Currently, it looks like this:

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", parameters.probe_height, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

What I am currently aiming for is that the probe is distributed to the ratio I have outlined in my first post, that is:

My main question is what the code would look like/what would have to be added in the <text probe> element to ensure those 2 conditions. I hope that's clear enough.

Before I can answer that, you need to better explain your code. In the script as-is, you have several things that either confict, do not make sense, or have an unclear purpose. For example, you have specified various parameters

<parameters>
/ probe = "X"
/ responsekey_left = "Z"
/ responsekey_right = "M"
/ minimum_latency = 100

/ target_left_x = 27%
/ target_right_x = 73%
/ target_y = 50%
/ fixationcross_height = 5%
/ probe_height = 5%
/ imageheight = 40%
</parameters>

However, none of these are actually used anywhere in your code. If you still plan to use these, you should make clear how and for what and get to that first. If and how you use them impacts the answer to your questions.

<trial MyTrial>

</trial>

This makes no sense. You have defined "Z" and "/" as the response keys. The correct key, then, cannot be "Positive_Images", which is not a key at all. What is this intended to do?

Your positive and negative images currently are at fixed positions: Negative image always on the left, positive image always on the right. Is this intended and supposed to remain that way or do you plan to ultimately have positions alternate in some way? If so, you need to get to that first, before you worry about the position of the probe.

BasE
BasE
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.

<trial MyTrial>
</trial>

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

Before I can answer that, you need to better explain your code. In the script as-is, you have several things that either confict, do not make sense, or have an unclear purpose. For example, you have specified various parameters

<parameters>
/ probe = "X"
/ responsekey_left = "Z"
/ minimum_latency = 100

/ target_left_x = 27%
/ target_right_x = 73%
/ target_y = 50%
/ probe_height = 5%
/ imageheight = 40%
</parameters>

However, none of these are actually used anywhere in your code. If you still plan to use these, you should make clear how and for what and get to that first. If and how you use them impacts the answer to your questions.

<trial MyTrial>

</trial>

This makes no sense. You have defined "Z" and "/" as the response keys. The correct key, then, cannot be "Positive_Images", which is not a key at all. What is this intended to do?

Your positive and negative images currently are at fixed positions: Negative image always on the left, positive image always on the right. Is this intended and supposed to remain that way or do you plan to ultimately have positions alternate in some way? If so, you need to get to that first, before you worry about the position of the probe.

> The parameters is something I haphazardly copied from the dot-probe task in the Inquisit library. In my task there will be no established perameters, as I want to keep the task as simple for me to code as possible.

> Same goes for the /correctresponse command. This is also something I copied from my other task I am coding; since there will be no feedback in this dot-probe task for the answers given, you are correct that such a command would make no sense.

All of these are beginner's mistakes as I am still trying to get to grips with Inquisit.

> The positive and negative images are supposed to alternate in positions. The only constant factor in the trial should be that both a positive and a negative image are presented; their position is random.

Dave
Dave
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.

<trial MyTrial>
</trial>

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<parameters>
/ probe = "X"
/ responsekey_left = "Z"
/ minimum_latency = 100

/ target_left_x = 27%
/ target_right_x = 73%
/ target_y = 50%
/ probe_height = 5%
/ imageheight = 40%
</parameters>

<trial MyTrial>

</trial>

> The parameters is something I haphazardly copied from the dot-probe task in the Inquisit library. In my task there will be no established perameters, as I want to keep the task as simple for me to code as possible.

> Same goes for the /correctresponse command. This is also something I copied from my other task I am coding; since there will be no feedback in this dot-probe task for the answers given, you are correct that such a command would make no sense.

All of these are beginner's mistakes as I am still trying to get to grips with Inquisit.

> The positive and negative images are supposed to alternate in positions. The only constant factor in the trial should be that both a positive and a negative image are presented; their position is random.

Okay, so why don't you clean up the code first -- i.e. remove the things that are not needed and you don't plan to use, remove or fix the things that do not make sense -- and implement the alternating positions for the positive and negative images. Once that's done, it makes sense to get to the probe part, but not before that.
BasE
BasE
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.

<trial MyTrial>
</trial>

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<parameters>
/ probe = "X"
/ responsekey_left = "Z"
/ minimum_latency = 100

/ target_left_x = 27%
/ target_right_x = 73%
/ target_y = 50%
/ probe_height = 5%
/ imageheight = 40%
</parameters>

<trial MyTrial>

</trial>

Okay, so why don't you clean up the code first -- i.e. remove the things that are not needed and you don't plan to use, remove or fix the things that do not make sense -- and implement the alternating positions for the positive and negative images. Once that's done, it makes sense to get to the probe part, but not before that.

Hi again,

I have attached a file that should have cleared out all the unnecessary clutter. Love to hear your opinion.
Attachments
CBM-A2.0.iqx (210 views, 2.00 KB)
Dave
Dave
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Dave - 9/8/2021
BasE - 9/8/2021
Hey all,

In more detail, please.

<trial MyTrial>
</trial>

<text probe>
/ items - ("X")
/ txcolor = white
/ erase = false
/ vjustify = center
</text>

<parameters>
/ probe = "X"
/ responsekey_left = "Z"
/ minimum_latency = 100

/ target_left_x = 27%
/ target_right_x = 73%
/ target_y = 50%
/ probe_height = 5%
/ imageheight = 40%
</parameters>

<trial MyTrial>

</trial>

Hi again,

I have attached a file that should have cleared out all the unnecessary clutter. Love to hear your opinion.

Okay -- where's the code / attempt to have the positive and negative images alternate positions? Not finding it. Talking about the probe position really doesn't make sense as long as that is not implemented.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search