Require response for openended question or minimum display time

Author
Lilly
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Dear all,

I'm afraid I have to bother you with yet another beginner's question, but I couldn't find a solution in the Inquisit help.

Question: How can I make sure that participants give an answer to an openended question:
Is there a command so that they can only continue to the next page when they have entered something (or a minimum number of characters) in response to an openended question?

Or, alternatively, can I use a minimum presentation time for the question, such that clicking on the "Next" button is only possible after, say, 20s ?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

Question: How can I make sure that participants give an answer to an openended question:
Is there a command so that they can only continue to the next page when they have entered something (or a minimum number of characters) in response to an openended question?

A setup along these lines should do the trick:

<openended myopenended>
[...]
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)
/ required = true
</openended>

~Dave

Lilly
Lilly
Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)Expert (1.4K reputation)

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

Just for the future, is there also a possibility to display the question for at least xxx seconds ?

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

Just for the future, is there also a possibility to display the question for at least xxx seconds ?

No straightforward way to do this, I believe. The '/ responsetime' attribute might be useful here though:

<openended myopenended>
[...]
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)
/ responsetime = 2000
</openended>

Set up like this, Inquisit would only accept answers given after 2000 ms into the trial.

Hope this helps,

~Dave

Lilly
Lilly

Thank you for the support, Dave!

The validresponse attribute cannot define a minimum number of characters, can it?

Dave
Dave

For that you'll have to look into using expressions via the '/ isvalidresponse' attribute or -- more general -- the '/ ontrialbegin', '/ ontrialend', etc. event attributes. For example, you could use the 'length()' function (see string functions section in the functions documentation) to check if the typed response has a minimum length...

Or you could use Regular Expressions (RegEx) via the '/ mask' attribute. See this thread for some hints: http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic4270.aspx.

~Dave

TamaraJedidja
TamaraJedidja
Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)Respected Member (317 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
HI!

I have a question about open-ended questions in Inquisit:

I want them to at least work on the question for 2 minutes; but the buttonlabel "Click here to continue" is now present from the start.
This is kind of confusing, since they can't actually continue before those 2 minutes. 

Any suggestions?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search