randomising <expt> scripts using <batch> element, inquisit web

Author
Alexander
Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I have a
question regarding inquisit web and the combining of scripts, and I hope someone
can help me out with this.

I have been
programming my scripts separately for the different parts of my experiment and
now I have 4 <expt> scripts: 1, 2A, 2B, 3. I want half of the participants
to go through scripts 1, 2A and 3 and the other half to go through scripts 1,
2B and 3. However, I don’t know how to program this...

I have been
reading about the <batch> element, but it looks to me that I can only
place scripts there which are then presented sequentially. In the <expt>
scripts 2 A and 2 B there is a randomization of stimuli presentation and I don’t
know how to combine scripts 2A and 2B into 1 <expt> script (which would
also solve the problem I think).

I want to keep
things as simple as possible (I am a beginner at inquisit programming). It
looks like I can make 2 <batch> elements, but I think this is problematic
in my case, because (due to license fees) I can only run 1 <batch> file
on the web...

How can I have
(roughly) half of the participants work through <expt> scripts 1, 2A and
3 and the other half through 1, 2B and 3?

Thanks in
advance for your time and attention in this matter.

Regards,

Alexander

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

The <batch> element is able to assign your subjects to different orders via the /subjects attribute. In your case, you should set things up like this:

<batch GroupA>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ file = "1.exp"
/ file = "2A.exp"
/ file = "3.exp"
</batch>

<batch GroupB>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ file = "1.exp"
/ file = "2B.exp"
/ file = "3.exp"
</batch>

Regards,

~Dave

Alexander
Alexander
Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)Partner Member (844 reputation)

Dave,

Thanks for your reply!

I have read about the subjects attribute, but that leaves me with 2 <batch> elements...I am a student, and if I understood everything correctly, I can only have 1 <batch> file, because that would mean only 1 license/ fewer costs (I will have participants do the experiment over the web). I am not 100% sure about my reasoning, I do know I was told to "put everything in 1 file" when I asked about the 2 <batch> element option....

I have checked out the help option in inquisit and it seems that I can/t put the 2 <batch> elements like you suggested into 1 general <batch> or something like that (so I am left with 1 file). Am I overlooking/misunderstanding anything? Is there a way around the 2 <batch> elements, for instance by putting them into 1 "general batch" ?

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Alexander

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

The two <batch> elements I posted go into *one single* .exp file, let's call it 'mybatch.exp'. This is the file you register as your active script in step 1 of the Web Script Wizard. In step 2 you upload the "actual" scripts containing your different tasks (1.exp, 2A.exp, 2B.exp, 3.exp).

Regards,

~Dave

Alexander
Alexander

Dave,

You have been very, very helpful. Thank you!

As I said, I am a beginner at programming and I have even less knowledge about how inquisit exactly works using the web edition. I am gathering information bit by bit, and I now know I can put everything into "mybatch.exp" ([;)]) and all is well!

Thanks.

Regards,

Alexander

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search