Word Search Distraction Task

Author
joebodle
Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hello,

I am trying to create a distraction task where the respondent will look at a word scramble and search for words for 2 minutes. I want the program to allow for the respondent to enter responses and then have those responses pop up on the screen. Here is what has been written so far:

<block search1>
/trials = [1= searchinstructions; 2=search]
</block>

<item instructions>
/ 1 = "You have two minutes to find as many words as you can in this grid.
~rType the words that you find into the box below the grid and hit 'Enter'.
~rWords may appear horizontally, vertically or along the diagonals.
~rPress spacebar to continue."
</item>

<text instructionstxt>
/ items = instructions
/ size = (95%, 95%)
/fontstyle = ("Arial", 16pt, false)
/vposition = (70%)
</text>

<picture word1>
/items = ("wordsearch1.jpg")
/position = (50, 40)
</picture>

<openended search>
/ stimulusframes = [1=word1]
/timeout = 120000
/inputdevice = keyboard
/position = (50, 90)
/linelength = 100
/numlines = 10
/multiline = true
</openended>

<trial searchinstructions>
/stimulusframes = [1=instructionstxt]
/ validresponse = (" ")
/responsetime = 1000
</trial>

Here is the word search:

I'm trying to use the openended trial because it has a text box for use.
The issues I have with it is that pressing enter ends the trial, as well
as the inability to post responses on the trial page.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. As always, I apologize for my lack of knowledge with Inquisit. Being thrown into this project blind really stresses one out.

Take care all. Thanks again for any ideas.

Best,

Joe

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

<values>
/ wordsearchtimeout = 120000
/ responsestring = ""
</values>

<openended enterword>
/ stimulusframes = [1=wordgrid,responses]
/ position = (50%,90%)
/ timeout = values.wordsearchtimeout-block.wordsearch.elapsedtime
/ ontrialend = [values.responsestring=concat(concat(values.responsestring," "),openended.enterword.response)]
/ branch = [openended.enterword]
</openended>

<picture wordgrid>
/ items = ("wordsearch1.jpg")
/ erase = false
</picture>

<text responses>
/ items = ("Responses: <%values.responsestring%>")
/ txbgcolor = (white)
/ erase = false
/ position = (50%,5%)
/ size = (95%,10%)
</text>

<block wordsearch>
/ stop = [block.wordsearch.elapsedtime>=values.wordsearchtimeout]
/ trials = [1=enterword]
</block>

Regards,

~Dave

joebodle
joebodle
Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.6K reputation)

Thank you so much Dave. This works perfectly.

Best,

Joe

jo700
jo700
Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)Esteemed Member (2.2K reputation)
Hi together,

thanks for your helpful entries and inputs. It always helps a lot! Referring to this, I have difficulties to integrate this syntax into my script.

What is identical:
During the wordsearch task the subjects shall find as many words as they can within a given time. The words they find should be entered in a textbox, which in turn should be presented at the top of the screen. So far so good.

What is different:
(1) I have a script with 10 groups, each with 11 blocks. In the second block and in the eighth block the subjects shall do a wordsearch task. Therefore, in each of both blocks a (different) picture of a wordsearch puzzle is presented. That means, every subject does two different wordsearch tasks - one in the second block, one in the eighth block.
--> Thus there are two different pictures of a wordsearch puzzle.

(2) Dependent on the group of the inquisit script, the wordpuzzle shall be presented for 5 different times.
group 1&6: 300s
group 2&7: 292.5s
group 3&8: 285s
group 4&9: 270s
group 5&10: 0s
--> Thus there are 5 different presentation times.

(3) The words, that are presented in the second block should not be presented in the eighth block. (That problem occurred, when I tried to integrate two wordsearch tasks into my script - obviously I did something wrong.)

My problem:
If I am right, I have to repeat your syntax 2*5 times, so that there are 10 different wordsearch tasks in the whole script. On basis of your former entry, I repeated your syntax 10 times and varied the arguments, so that there are 10 different wordsearch tasks. But somehow it didn't work. I think I have changed the wrong arguments. Could anyone tell me, what exactly I have to "rename", to create those 10 different wordsearch tasks (who last 300s, 292.5s, 285s, 270s or 0s, each for picture1 in the second block and for picture2 in the eighth block). Or is there an easier way to implement this?

Sorry to bother you with it, but I really don't know how to handle it. I hope, someone else does.

Thanks a lot!

Daniel

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Since you did not explain what "arguments" you changed, I cannot tell you what may be wrong. I'd recommend taking a step back and starting small: I.e., go from one word puzzle to two word puzzles with different timings. Once you have that working, extend to 3, 4 and so forth.

If you're going for the "copying the syntax" route, you need to (1) copy everything and (2) give the copies unique names.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search