Dual-task implementation

Author
Robert Balas
Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

quite a general question. Is it possible to implement dual-task designs in Inquisit 3.0. I'm planning to run an experiment in which, except for the primary task of conditioning, there's gonna be an additional secondary task, either n-back or random time interval generation (RTIG). In case of n-back, participants have to response whenever the current item on screen is the same as the item seen 2 presentations back. In RTIG, participant has to click the mouse as randomly as possible throughout the course of conditioning in which images are presented on the screen.
the issue is that: to to this I need to register participants responses to both primary and secondary task independently. The task has to run independently from each other.

Is that generally possible in Inquisit 3.0? Any tips?

All the Best,
Robert
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hey Robert,

if you want the two tasks to run *completely* independent of each other, your options are rather limited. Inquisit currently does not offer multiple, independent control structures that would allow running trials / blocks of trials in parallel. Instead, Inquisit is restricted to running a single trial at a given time as well as collecting a single response per trial. Inquisit is also restricted to a single response modality per trial (i.e. it will only accept keyboard OR mouse OR response box, etc. input in a given trial). However, there might be two workaround strategies:

(1) You could sync *two* computers running Inquisit 3 via TTL signals. Each computer would then run one of the tasks. However, I don't think this would be a viable strategy for the specific tasks you're aiming to combine.

(2) If you have a skilled flash programmer at hand, one of the tasks could be implemented via flash. As Inquisit is able to handle interactive flash objects as 'background stimuli' during a block of its own trials, this could be a valid implementation strategy.

But, in sum, Inquisit currently isn't really designed to handle dual task paradigms.

Best wishes from a fellow Inquisit user,
~Dave

P.S.: The dual task issue has been discussed here a few times, so you might also want to do a forum search for additional information.

Robert Balas
Robert Balas
Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)Guru (5.4K reputation)
Dave,

Thanks a lot for the response. Seems that for this specific problem that I have I'll stick with normal sequential trials presentation but some of them designed to collect responses in one task, and the others collecting responses for the other. This will not be 'completely' parallel in programming sense, but for participants - yes, they're still going to handle two tasks at the same time.

Anyway - I think that from the experimental cognitive psychologist perspective the software that would allow for perfect dual task procedures is a must. As far as I know such soft does not exist - e-prime, superlab, psyscope, and inquisit are all single task tools.
Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Seems that for this specific problem that I have I'll stick with normal sequential trials presentation but some of them designed to collect responses in one task, and the others collecting responses for the other. This will not be 'completely' parallel in programming sense, but for participants - yes, they're still going to handle two tasks at the same time.

True. This would be the 'standard' implementation strategy with Inquisit right now.

Anyway - I think that from the experimental cognitive psychologist perspective the software that would allow for perfect dual task procedures is a must. As far as I know such soft does not exist - e-prime, superlab, psyscope, and inquisit are all single task tools.

I tend to agree. I know that Sean Draine is well aware of Inquisit's limitations regarding dual task paradigms - and I'm sure that the software will support these types of tasks much better sometime in the future. However, I've also had to work with E-Prime and SuperLab in the past, and while I personally prefer Inquisit over any of them, I think that E-Prime actually *can* adequately handle dual task paradigms. So, if you have access to E-Prime, you might also want to go down that route for this specific problem.

Best wishes,
~Dave

Robert Balas
Robert Balas
Dave,

I'll definitely try E-Prime. However, not having any programming experience (except for SuperLab which is 'windows' like tool), I find Inquisit much easier to get on with.

Cheers,
Robert
Malgo
Malgo
Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)Partner Member (862 reputation)

Hello,

I have seen your posts oon dual-task problem. Is it possible to form two frames in Inquisit and simultaneously do two tasks (one would be time-constrained)?

Your posts about dual task are all from sometime ago, like year 2009. Was there any new way recently introduced to dual tasks? I have just started working with Inquisit but couldn't find any recent information on this topic.

Thanks in advance for information.

Malgo

Tags
Dave
Dave

Is it possible to form two frames in Inquisit and simultaneously do two tasks (one would be time-constrained)?

No. The situation regarding (concurrent) dual tasks has not changed.

mw.
mw.
Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)
Hi,

I've got the same question as Malgo had three years ago: Has there been an update which now allows for dual task paradigms in Inquisit?

Thank you very much!

Martin

Dave
Dave
If you are referring to *concurrent* dual-tasks, the general answer is (still) "No". Depending on the specifics of what exactly you would want to implement, the answer may differ.

mw.
mw.
Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)Partner Member (560 reputation)
Hi Dave,

thank you very much - yes, I was referring to concurrent dual tasks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search