one trial: two monitors?

Author
shopper
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I am trying to determine if Inquisit is a good choice for the experiments I wish to conduct.  Thank you ahead of time for your help.

For some of my experiments, I need Inquisit to coordinate different presentations on two monitors. For the external monitor, I only need Inquisit to present an image in the middle of the screen. This is the monitor that the subject views.  It will not serve as an input device. On the laptop’s monitor, I need Inquisit to present a number of question types (multiple choice and text box) to the experimenter and then accept the experimenter’s input via the laptop’s touchscreen for multiple choice questions and keyboard for text box questions. All of this would constitute a single trial.  So, my question is can a single Inquisit experiment integrate control of either two monitors or two windows?  If so, would this work best using a video card that permits extended view across two screens or just a standard videocard that permits nonmirrored images sent to separate monitors?

seandr
seandr
Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)Supreme Being (142K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in Inquisit.

Unfortunately, I can't think of any easy way to do this Inquisit given it's current capability. You could do this with two separate computers that are synchronized via parallel port signals, but that might be a bit complicated.

We do plan to add multi-monitor support in the not-too-distant future. It would work on Windows 7 only given that the graphics technology we use with XP doesn't natively support this. However, this is months away. 

Wish I had better news. If your time frame is fairly loose, stay tuned here for the release of Inquisit 4, which will introduce this feature.

Thanks,
Sean 

shopper
shopper
Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)Esteemed Member (1.9K reputation)

Thanks for your speedy reply, Sean.  It was appreciated. I'll check back when Inquisit 4 comes out, as I am very interested in maybe using INquisit to make an adaptive measure in the future.  best regards.

shopper
shopper

Hi Sean,

1.       Although certainly a makeshift solution, I could program what the examiner needs to see and input on the left side of the laptop's touchscreen and program the visual stimuli for the subject on the right side of the touchscreen. Then I could mirror the display to an external monitor and physically cover the left half of the external screen, which I don't want subject to see. I think this would work given that only the laptop's touchscreen needs to accept user input. What do you think?

2.       Having gone through many of the online tutorials, I can see that Inquisit will permit more than one questionnaire item per page and more than one type of questionnaire item per page.  Similarly, can multiple questionnaire items and questionnaire item types be embedded in a single trial of an experiment?  For example,..

3.   For one of my experiments, I would like one trial to include auditory instructions, followed by visual image, a radiobutton with an option attribute, a multiple choice item that accepts multiple selections, a nextlabel and a prevkey.  This would mean that Inquisit would need to accept both touchscreen/mouse input and keyboard input during this one trial and somehow the two questions would need to be linked to the same trial in the dataset.

L.Schweiger
L.Schweiger
Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)Associate Member (240 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hey,
Is there something new in this topic?

Inquisit 5 description "Present stimuli on multiple monitors"

greetings L.Schweiger

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search