How to interpret IAT scores in Inquisit

Author
etapia
Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Hi,

I am having trouble figuring out which one goes with which in my case (How to pair them and make them A or B). I am working with the attributes good and bad and the targets Latino and White. IN my script I have them as Attribute_Left: good, Attribute_right: bad, target 1: white, target 2: Latino. I will attach a screen shot of my results after I conduct a frequency test in spss. I would appreciate any help. If more information is required please do not hesitate to let me know.  

Elizabeth

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)
Group: Administrators

I am having trouble figuring out which one goes with which in my case (How to pair them and make them A or B). I am working with the attributes good and bad and the targets Latino and White. IN my script I have them as Attribute_Left: good, Attribute_right: bad, target 1: white, target 2: Latino

For the IAT scripts available from millisecond.com (to which this thread applies), the denominations and pairings are clear: They are always attrinbuteA, attributeB, targetA and targetB. For scripts coming from other sources, please refer to the documentation provided by the respective scripts' authors.

Regards,

~Dave

etapia
etapia
Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)Partner Member (606 reputation)

I used the script available from prof. Greenwald's website. I will attach it to see if it helps.[View:http://www.millisecond.com/community/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/12/2553.LATINOIAT.exp.txt:550:0]

Dave
Dave
Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)Supreme Being (1M reputation)

I used the script available from prof. Greenwald's website

Then you should refer to the documentation provided by Prof. Greenwald re. interpreting the data generated with that script and how his accompanying SPSS syntax works.

marton.hun
marton.hun
Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)Partner Member (542 reputation)

Hi,

I'm doing a research paper on self esteem, and I'm using the Greenwald self esteem IAT and the Rosenberg explicit self esteem test. My question is, how to correlate the two mesasures, or how to make them "compatible" for each other. I have the raw data (the d scores from the IAT, and the points from the rosenberg scale).

Thanks!

Dave
Dave

I'm doing a research paper on self esteem, and I'm using the Greenwald self esteem IAT and the Rosenberg explicit self esteem test. My question is, how to correlate the two mesasures, or how to make them "compatible" for each other. I have the raw data (the d scores from the IAT, and the points from the rosenberg scale).

This is a general methodological / data analysis question and is as such completely unrelated to (using) Inquisit. I thus recommend you review the available literature dealing w/ relations between implicit and explicit measures and take this up w/ your colleagues and/or advisors.

Regards,

~Dave

magdalena
magdalena
Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)

Hey Dave,

thank you for your explanations which are always very helpful.

I understood that expressions.d is the IAT-sore calculated after the improved scroing algorithm according Greenwald et al. 2003. This means I can cite it this way, right?

I used one of the scripts of your Task library. I´m not sure which part of the script calculates the expressions.d-score. Maybe you could upload an example of the accordant command? This would help me to control my data.

One last question: Greenwald et al. (2003) used the pooled SD for their calculations. Which formula did you use for computing the pooled SD?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards, Magdalena

Dave
Dave

I understood that expressions.d is the IAT-sore calculated after the improved scroing algorithm according Greenwald et al. 2003. This means I can cite it this way, right?

Yes, review the previous replies throughout this thread for details.

I used one of the scripts of your Task library. I´m not sure which part of the script calculates the expressions.d-score. Maybe you could upload an example of the accordant command?

Simply look at the <expressions> element in the script you used and find '/ d'. Additionally look at the /ontrialend attributes in the script which are involved the necessary computations.

One last question: Greenwald et al. (2003) used the pooled SD for their calculations. Which formula did you use for computing the pooled SD?

You'll also find this information directly by looking at the script. Again, refer to the <expressions> element in the script and look at the various entries starting with 'sd'.

Regards,

~Dave

magdalena
magdalena
Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)Partner Member (567 reputation)

Hey Dave,

thank you for your quick reply. You already helped us very much. But we are still wondering about the resulting score (expressions.d). We tried to compute the score for several subjects manually and got different values than the program calculated (differences about 0.04). So we looked at the formula in the script for understanding which mistake we made. But we couldn´t comprehend on part of the SD-formula, what means values.ssXX?

Thanks a lot and best wishes, Magdalena

Dave
Dave

'ss' would indicate a sum of squares. Minor differences a la 0.0x may very well be due to rounding error.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Explore
Search