Millisecond Forums

emotional n-back task

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic11507.aspx

By FranziSPOHO - 10/22/2013

Dear smart and well educated inquisit pros,

Im totally new to the software and I already see myself confronted with a big challange that I did not manage to handle, so I was hoping for your advice.

Im trying to program an emotional n-back task that has neutural pics in the middle and distracter words about it. 2-back and 3-back loads are required.

Most urgent questions:

How does one randomize a block with 5 target trial (i.e., 2-back load: pic 4 (target trial) thus, pic 2 has to be the same)?

How does one have 2 inputs (randomized) for one trial whereas in the block (see first question) only one input (the pic) will be used as a target trial?

How does one make it happen that the program knows the target trial in order to change the corret output already?

One more information: the pic with the words aroud it has to show up for 500ms after that the pic in the middle should disapear and just the words have to stay for 3500 ms. The total 4000ms the participant has time to answere but the time should be recored from the onset of the stimuli.

I really hope theses questions are easy for you, so you can help me figuring it all out :) Let me know if I did not make myself clear when proposing the questions :)

Thanks in advance :)

have a good night

By Dave - 10/22/2013

There are a bunch of n-back scripts available in the Task Library at millisecond.com, so I would advise to study those with respect to your questions 1-3. And since you say you are new to Inquisit, I would urge you to complete the tutorials included in the documentation first.

One more information: the pic with the words aroud it has to show up for 500ms after that the pic in the middle should disapear and just the words have to stay for 3500 ms. The total 4000ms the participant has time to answere but the time should be recored from the onset of the stimuli.

You'll want to study the "How to erase stimuli" topic in the documentation as well as the language reference for the language reference for the /responsetime attribute.

By FranziSPOHO - 10/22/2013

Hey there Dave,

thanks for the advice, unfourtunalty there is just one n-back task skirpt avaialbe in the task libary.

But I will start right away with the tutorials...

...nevertheless if anybody else would like to comment on the questions. Please go ahead.