Millisecond Forums

Checkboxes with an Other option

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic11953.aspx

By jbfleming - 12/18/2013

I have a survey checkboxes item that looks like:

<checkboxes race>
/ caption = "What is your race? Check one or more."
/ options = ("Black or African American","White","Asian","Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander","American Indiana or Alaska Native")
/ other = "Some other race (please describe)"
/ required = false
/ optionvalues = ("0","1","2","3","4","5")
</checkboxes>

If I select "Some other race (please describe)" and fill in the resulting text box that appears, that text box data doesn't appear to get saved anywhere.  (IF I check the other box, I do see that 5 is filled in the appropriate place, and if I get rid of the /optionvalues then I see the "Some other race" text in the appropriate place. But, what gets entered into the "other" textbox doesn't appear to get saved anywhere)

This is in contrast to two <radiobuttons> elements I have with Other options, where the Other textbox is getting saved in a variable with a name like variableother_response

What am I missing? Thanks!

John
By Dave - 12/18/2013

The following should work better:

<survey mysurvey>
/ pages = [1=mypage]
</survey>

<surveypage mypage>
/ questions = [1=race; 2=raceother]
</surveypage>

<checkboxes race>
/ caption = "What is your race? Check one or more."
/ options = ("Black or African American","White","Asian","Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander","American Indiana or Alaska Native")
/ other = raceother
/ required = false
/ optionvalues = ("0","1","2","3","4","5")
</checkboxes>

<textbox raceother>
/ caption = "Some other race (please describe)"
/ required = false
</textbox>

I'm still getting "5" in raceother when I do that... :(
By Dave - 12/18/2013

Is your Inquisit version up to date? I have attached an example output file (I answered with "Bla"), so it's there as far as I can tell.

I figured out what I had done wrong based on your example. I didn't put "raceother" in my questions along with race.

Doing so, I now get values in "raceother" when that field is filled in, so I think I'm getting the same results now.

I would still like to get a "5" in "raceoption5_response" just like I get a "1" in "raceoption1_response" if I check the first box, and like I do with my original /other = "Prompt" syntax. Is that possible?  If not, I can always fill it in later when there is a non-null value of raceother present, I guess.
By Dave - 12/18/2013

jbfleming (12/18/2013)
I would still like to get a "5" in "raceoption5_response" just like I get a "1" in "raceoption1_response" if I check the first box, and like I do with my original /other = "Prompt" syntax. Is that possible?  If not, I can always fill it in later when there is a non-null value of raceother present, I guess.

No, that's currently not possible, I'm afraid.

No problem, looks like I have what I need and can reconstruct the rest if I need to. Thanks for your quick responses and help!