Millisecond Forums

Self-Esteem IAT Citation

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic12103.aspx

By jbfleming - 1/16/2014

Hello, one of the tasks I am including in an experiment I'm putting together is the Self-Esteem IAT.
I was pleased to find it already available for download at the Inquisit task library page so I didn't have to do the programming myself.
However, the stimulus words used in this version are different from the ones I had previously determined to be the validated stimuli set.
It is more than likely that I have an out of date version, or that the words included in the version on the Inquisit site are better and also validated.
But, I need to know where those words came from in order to feel comfortable that they are validated properly, and what to cite when writing about my experiment. 
The Self-Esteem IAT script does not contain any information about citations, who programmed it, or how to contact them. Can someone at Millisecond get me in touch with whoever programmed this so I can make sure I understand where the stimuli came from?  Otherwise, I will need to modify it to use the words I was originally going to use.

Thanks!
John
By jbfleming - 1/16/2014

These were the words I was able to find a reference for when I originally looked into the self-esteem IAT several months ago:

Category         Items

Me                   Me,Self, I, My

Good               Good,Excellent, Wonderful, Great

Bad                 Dreadful,Awful, Bad, Terrible

Other              Notme, Other, Them, They

The version on the Inquisit site uses:
Me: Me, My, Mine, Self, Myself, Me, Me, Myself
Good: Marvelous, Superb, Pleasure, Beautiful, Joyful, Glorious, Lovely, Wonderful
Bad: Tragic, Horrible, Agony, Painful, Terrible, Awful, Humiliate, Nasty
Other: They, Them, Their, Others, Theirs, They, Them, Others

I'm inclined to believe the words in the Inquisit version will work out perfectly well. I just can't find a citation for their use in the self-esteem IAT.

Thanks!
John

By Dave - 1/16/2014

As far as I am aware, the self / other items come from Greenwald & Farnham (2000). See last table in the paper's appendix.

The positive / negative items are the standard ones used throughout the majority of prototypical IATs (flowers/insect), I believe.
By jbfleming - 1/17/2014

I was trying to remember where I got the words I did get.

It's from Harvard's Project Implicit Self-Esteem IAT, after you answer all the demographic questions, it presents you with the table of words that will be used, which is where I got the words I was going to use.

The Greenwald & Farnham article seems a reasonable source for the self/other words, I'd ideally want it validated with the positive adjectives I was going to use for my version.
By jbfleming - 1/17/2014

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/uploads/images/a10060af-37fa-4da0-b5e0-da8f.png
By jbfleming - 1/17/2014

I do now remember that the Project Implicit self-esteem IAT doesn't even use quite the same structure as most of the common IATs.

I will take a deeper look into it. Thanks for the Greenwald & Farnham reference and all of your help!
By Dave - 1/17/2014

> I do now remember that the Project Implicit self-esteem IAT doesn't even use quite the same structure as most of the common IATs.

Not sure about the specifics, but the 5 minute duration they indicate (screenshot in your previous post) suggests it's significantly shorter (i.e., fewer gtrials) than a "standard" IAT -- 50% or less, if I were to hazard a guess.
By jbfleming - 1/24/2014

Just as a followup, after going down a self-esteem IAT rabbit hole and devoting a lot of thought to it, we are going to use the self-esteem IAT as downloaded from Millisecond.

:)