Millisecond Forums

Saving (survey) data to a server location

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic13338.aspx

By Max - 5/21/2014

Dear Inquisit's,
we have a laboratory with 20 workstations +  one server. We'd like to save the data to the server directly instead of collecting it from the workstations.
Hypothetically all subjects answer the same survey and finish at the same time. Do we have to face any issues when 20 workstations try to write to the same "demographics.iqdat"? If so, how can we prevent this?
ATB, Max
By Dave - 5/21/2014

> Do we have to face any issues when 20 workstations try to write to the same "demographics.iqdat"?

Yes, this could cause problems such as corrupted data files, data loss, data recorded out of order, ...

> If so, how can we prevent this?

You can force the creation of separate file by setting the <survey> element's /separatefiles attribute to 'true'.
By Max - 5/22/2014

Okay got it. It is working so far.

One question remains if we decide to save the data to a local folder: Is it possible to work with relative paths too? E.g. the script is located in 
"C:\Users\me\rive\UB\Documents\Kfbn\000_data\001_scripts\03a_behavioral-task-pretest\2014-04-22_behavioral-task-pretest.iqx"
and the data should be saved here:
Raw file "C:\Users\ws1\rive\UB\Documents\Kfbn\000_data\03a_behavioral-task-pretest\raw\"
Summary file "C:\Users\ws1\rive\UB\Documents\Kfbn\000_data\03a_behavioral-task-pretest\sum\"
The "ws1" is the number of the workstation, i.e. for workstation 2 it needs to be replaced by "ws2", for no. 3 with "ws3" and so on.
Is it possible use a relative path in the file argument? This is what we tried, unfortunately it is not working.
Raw file: "/ file = "..\..\000_data\03a_behavioral-task-pretest\raw\"
Sum file: "/ file = "..\..\000_data\03a_behavioral-task-pretest\sum\"
A relative path would offer much more flexibility and it would save time when copying the script to different locations (>> no adaptation needed).

ATB Max
By Dave - 5/22/2014

To save the data to a subfolder relative to the the script's location, use

<data>
[...]
/ file = "./raw/"
/ separatefiles = true
</data>
By Max - 5/22/2014

Sorry Dave, I tried it for the standard Stroop task but couldn't get it working. See attached screenshot for the folder structure and the error message. 

By Max - 5/22/2014

Max (5/23/2014)
Sorry Dave, I tried it for the standard Stroop task but couldn't get it working. See attached screenshot for the folder structure and the error message. 

arrrghhh, the raw folder is one level above, but it's still not working.
By Dave - 5/22/2014

Sorry, didn't realize you were asking about OSX. That's currently broken / not possible (a bug report for that already exists, so no need for further action).