Millisecond Forums

Start presentation of a stimulus (finishlabel) while other stimulus (video) is still presented

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic18588.aspx

By Luise - 3/14/2016

In my experiment I present a video as stimulus within a surveypage. I want the finishlabel that stops the video and switches to the next page to not work /appear from the beginning on but only after the first minute of the video. I also tried not using a surveypage but "trial", but I cannot figure out how to do it. Is there any possibility to use "stimulustimes", "responsetimes" or any other do make this work?
I´d be really grateful for a response!

By Dave - 3/14/2016

You should use a <trial>, not a <surveypage>, to do that. Display the video via its /stimulustimes, display a <text> element serving as "next"  button one minute after the start of the video, also via /stimulustimes.
By Luise - 3/14/2016

Thanks for your response...unfortunately it still does not work! I always get the message trial.stimulus1/stimulustimes/stimulus sequence already defined...maybe you´re able to find the reason for this in my script?

<text Weiterlabel>
/ items = ("Weiter")
/ position = (50%, 85%)
/ fontstyle = ("Bell Gothic STD Black", 3%, false, false, true, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = black
</text>

<video Person1>
/ items = ("XXX")
/ position = (45, 50)
/ playthrough = false
/ size = (1100, 1000)
</video>

<trial Stimulus1>
/stimulusframes = [1 = Person1; 2 = Weiterlabel]
/stimulustimes = [0 = Person1; 60000 = Weiterlabel]
/inputdevice = mouse
/validresponse = (Weiterlabel)
</trial>

<block Stimulus1>
/ trials = [1= Stimulus1]
</block>

<expt>
/blocks = [1=Stimulus1]
</expt>
By Dave - 3/14/2016

<trial Stimulus1>
/stimulusframes = [1 = Person1; 2 = Weiterlabel]

</trial>

is wrong. You need to use *either* /stimulusframes *or* /stimulustimes. You cannot use both at the same time. Delete the /stimulusframes attribute.

<trial Stimulus1>

</trial>
By Luise - 3/14/2016

Great! Thank you! It is working perfectly fine now. Is there any way to keep a possibility to skip this block by a keyboard-input? Right now this is only possible after my "Weiterlabel" appears. (Last question, I promise ;) )
By Dave - 3/14/2016

The standard key combo to skip a block is CTRL+B. I'm not sure why you would want the trial to be skip-able, though. Wasn't forcing participant's to watch the video for a minimum duration the entire point?