Millisecond Forums

Difficulty creating htmlpage instructions that includes Inquisit item

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic19348.aspx

By clb357 - 7/1/2016

Hello!

I am trying to put together instructions for an experiment using the htmlpage element and am having difficulty displaying task stimuli within the instructions.
I have followed the directions that within the instruction html page I type in the item I want to display using the format <%type.name.property%>, save the htm file, but then when I go to run the experiment/instructions it just shows up as text, instead of the stimuli it is supposed to be calling (in this case an arrow).
Is there something that I am doing incorrectly? I know that I am using the correct element /name/property (borrowed code from another program that works) so I don't believe that is the issue. A possibly relevant piece of information is that I am creating these pages in microsoft word and then saving them (and subsequently editing them) as an htm file.

If anyone has an idea of how I can remedy this situation, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Char
By seandr - 7/1/2016

Hi Char,
MS Word will escape the <%%> characters so that they are treated as content rather than code.
You could try saving the MS Word doc as HTML, then opening the file in Notepad, and then inserting the <%%> where ever it should go, then save. 
-Sean
By clb357 - 7/1/2016

That definitely worked!
I'm running into a new problem now though -- while the stimuli that I am presenting in the instructions is now shown in the instructions, it doesn't look like the stimuli that are presented in the actual experiment (ie, the arrows look different in the instructions compared to the experiment).

Is there a way to have them be identical?

Thanks!
By Dave - 7/1/2016

It's not clear what exactly you are embedding in the HTML -- are the arrows you mention simple text characters or images or something else entirely?

If the you are simple text characters, you need to make sure that the respective text in the HTML is formatted identically (or at least as closely similar as possible) to how the respective <text> elements in the script are formatted, i.e., use the identical font, font size, style and color.

Hope this helps.