Millisecond Forums

Measuring time from textbox presentation to first response

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic20479.aspx

By kulajw - 1/13/2017

Hello,

I created a survey with text box elements and each text box is placed on separate survey page
I would like to know how long participant is "thinking" before  he or she start typing answer in check box, so I need to measure time between initial text box presentation on the screen and event when particpanat start typing in this text box.

I have tried to subtract survey page.elapsed time from survey page.latency, but it does not work as I expected ;(

Do you have any idea how can I measure time between text box presentation and start of typing in this text box?

Thanks for any responses :)
By Dave - 1/13/2017

kulajw - Friday, January 13, 2017
Hello,

I created a survey with text box elements and each text box is placed on separate survey page
I would like to know how long participant is "thinking" before  he or she start typing answer in check box, so I need to measure time between initial text box presentation on the screen and event when particpanat start typing in this text box.

I have tried to subtract survey page.elapsed time from survey page.latency, but it does not work as I expected ;(

Do you have any idea how can I measure time between text box presentation and start of typing in this text box?

To do this you should use <openended> elements instead of <surveypage>s with <textbox> elements. The <openended>'s firstcharlatency property will give you the time when the participant type the first character:

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-2=myopenended]
</block>

<openended myopenended>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Question A", "Question B")
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = [date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode response latency openended.myopenended.firstcharlatency]
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

By kulajw - 1/17/2017

Thank you!

openended element

It is really interesting and useful properties.
As far I know description of this properties is not present in <opened>  langage refernces in a help menu for Inquisit 4, therefore I miss it.

http://www.millisecond.com/forums/Uploads/Images/54ed7a71-d94e-4755-9464-583c.PNG

Best

By mateuszh - 2/10/2020

Dave - 1/13/2017
Hello,

To do this you should use <openended> elements instead of <surveypage>s with <textbox> elements. The <openended>'s firstcharlatency property will give you the time when the participant type the first character:

<block myblock>
</block>

<openended myopenended>
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = [date time subject group blocknum blockcode trialnum trialcode response latency openended.myopenended.firstcharlatency]
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi,
we are trying to measure response time our procedure, also using a firstcharlatency property. But we have so many openended forms of trials. So our question is following
- how should we call column in data to gather latency from beginning of trial to first key response? A string is a form of the response.
By Dave - 2/10/2020

mateuszh - 2/10/2020
Dave - 1/13/2017
Hello,

<block myblock>
</block>

<openended myopenended>
</openended>

<text mytext>
/ position = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi,
we are trying to measure response time our procedure, also using a firstcharlatency property. But we have so many openended forms of trials. So our question is following
- how should we call column in data to gather latency from beginning of trial to first key response? A string is a form of the response.

Just create a variable

<values>
/ firstchar_rt = ""
</values>

have your various <openended> elements write their firstcharlatency to that variable

<openended a>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.a.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

<openended b>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.b.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

<openended c>
/ ontrialend = [values.firstchar_rt = openended.c.firstcharlatency]
</openended>

and log the variable to the data file

<data>
/ columns = [..., values.firstchar_rt, ...]