Millisecond Forums

Mac status for Inquisit Web

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic2139.aspx

By stephonomon - 10/28/2008

I'm curious about whether browsers running on Macs are now supported for Inquisit Web? I tried it on my system and got errors with the Java Webstart in both Safari and Firefox. If not, when might we be able to expect it? :-)
By seandr - 10/28/2008

Sorry, Macs are not yet supported. This is something we are actively working on, but it's still too early to say anything definitive about it.

-Sean

By myeboah - 1/14/2009

What is the status of this? Is it still too early to say anything definitive?
By seandr - 1/14/2009

Unfortunately, it's still too early to give you a meaningful date.

Believe me, when we get close enough to see the finish line, we will be shouting it from the mountain tops (apologies for the horribly mixed metaphors). :-)

-Sean

By myeboah - 1/14/2009

Thanks Sean.
By canadiansak - 9/6/2010

I'm going to guess that Inquisit on Mac OS X isn't any closer to completion yet? Just thought I would check in with the question, since it's been more than a year since it was last posted here. Thanks!

By seandr - 9/6/2010

It's closer, but not yet done.

-Sean

By Erica H - 2/18/2011

Hi Sean,

Any word on the mac compatibility?  I have a study going and am getting a lot of feedback from users that it isn't working for them!

I'll cross my fingers!
Erica

By bwilkows - 11/9/2011

Any progress on the Mac compatibility issue? I've had participants completing my study complain about this issue, and sincce there hasn't been a post on this issue since February, I thought I'd ask again.

By seandr - 11/9/2011

Progress continues. We expect to have a beta ready in the next few months.

-Sean

By Rickardcarlsson - 12/2/2011

This is really important for us too. We are currently considering changing software because of this mac issue: we have been using web-version of Inquisit for several years but this has become an increasingly large problem. Field stuides that do not work for 10% of the population is non-acceptable etc.

But I have some additional questions regarding this:

Will this mac compatibility be available for current versions (licenses) or will we have to upgrade our license? We recently purchased a perpetual web 3 and we are hard pressed to find the funding for software meaning that we are not all that happy about yet another upgrade. Oddly enough, it is easier for us to get funding to program somehting of ourself (e.g., our web-based software... we do have the expertise for this in our research group) than to buy software....In essence, we are considering stopping using Inquist and starting developing our own system based on open source project that are already available. The biggest reason for this is lack of Mac support.  However, if we knew that Mac support is around the corner and that this won't result in a costly upgrader, then we might reconsider.

The other question is whether this future support for Mac will also be for the desktop license. That is, will it be possible to develop and run experiments on a Mac in the future?

By seandr - 12/3/2011

Hi Rickard,

We are introducing Mac compatibility in Inquisit 4. We expect to release a beta in January. 

Inquisit 3 licenses that were purchased within a year of the release of Inquisit 4 can be (optionally) exchanged for Inquisit 4 licenses without any upgrade fees. 

We will have Mac versions of both the web and desktop editions.

Regards,
Sean 

By DavidPeterzell - 2/16/2012

It is good to read this.  Is that beta version of Inquisit 4 available yet? (I'm probably the millionth person to ask this.  Sorry.)

Well if this is still far off, I may just try running Windows natively on my Mac, as you discussed elsewhere.  

By Dave - 2/16/2012

A first public beta should be available (very) soon. Check back daily!

By Dave - 2/17/2012

A public beta of Inquisit 4 Desktop for PC and Mac has been made available at https://www.millisecond.com/download/:

"The Inquisit 4 beta is a public release for anyone who wishes to preview the next version of Inquisit. While
we have worked hard to make this a stable, high-quality preview, this is not a final release so you should expect some bugs.
You are welcome to use this beta for real research, but we highly recommend you thoroughly test it with your scripts
before you do. Note - this beta is good for 3 months, after which it will no longer record data. Please check back at
that time to see if we've released an update."

Please send any bug reports or feature requests to inquisit@millisecond.com. Your feedback will
make this a better product for you and everyone else. Thanks!

By seandr - 2/17/2012

We should have the web beta out shortly. It will be made available to anyone with an Inquisit 3 web license.

In the mean time, test out your scripts with the desktop edition and let us know of any problems. 

Thanks,
Sean 

By DavidPeterzell - 2/17/2012

Wow, now THAT is timing.  The beta version is released right after I post my first ever query here?  That's irony for ya, since Inquisit is about timing. 

Thanks... will purchase and download shortly. 

Dave

By DavidPeterzell - 2/17/2012

Downloaded on my Mac and trying out demo scripts on it.  So far so good... and I'm totally new to Inquisit.  

I haven't paid y'all anything yet.  Since I've never paid for a version of Inquisit, how should I proceed?  Should I purchase version 3 or some such? 

By jbuczny - 2/26/2012

Several scripts checked on Mac (IAT, survey pages, evaluative conditioning). Everything worked fine.