Millisecond Forums

IAT with target item provided by participants AND core set of target items

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic21739.aspx

By A_Natoli - 5/31/2017

Hello,

I am attempting to include a core set of target items (standard) and a single item provided by the participant at the start of the IAT.  However, I am having trouble doing this; I can run the IAT with a core set of target items (i.e., "me" "I am" 'myself") or with the target item I have the participant provide (i.e., his/her first name), but I cannot figure out how to combine this.  That is, I want the four target items to be "me," "I am," "myself," and the participant's first name that they provide.

The two codes I have are as follows:

**For the core set of target items**
<item targetA>
/1 = "me"
/2 = "I am"
/3 = "myself"
</item>

**For the participant provided item**
<item targetA>
/items = getItemsTargetA
</item>

<item getItemsTargetInstructions>
/ 1 = "Please enter  your first name."
</item>

Can anyone help me so that I can use both the core set of target items and the single item provided by the participant together?

By Dave - 5/31/2017

A_Natoli - Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Hello,

I am attempting to include a core set of target items (standard) and a single item provided by the participant at the start of the IAT.  However, I am having trouble doing this; I can run the IAT with a core set of target items (i.e., "me" "I am" 'myself") or with the target item I have the participant provide (i.e., his/her first name), but I cannot figure out how to combine this.  That is, I want the four target items to be "me," "I am," "myself," and the participant's first name that they provide.

<item targetA>
/1 = "me"
/2 = "I am"
/3 = "myself"
</item>

<item targetA>
/items = getItemsTargetA
</item>

</item>

Can anyone help me so that I can use both the core set of target items and the single item provided by the participant together?

You define something like

<item targetA>
/1 = "placeholder"
/2 = "me"
/3 = "I am"
/4 = "myself"
</item>

Then run an <openended> trial at the start to collect the name. Replace the 1st item in <item targetA> with the response.

<openended name>
/ stimulusframes = [1=yourname]
/ ontrialend = [item.targeta.setitem(openended.name.response,1)]
</openended>
By A_Natoli - 6/4/2017

Dave - Wednesday, May 31, 2017
A_Natoli - Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Hello,

<item targetA>
/1 = "me"
/2 = "I am"
/3 = "myself"
</item>

<item targetA>
/items = getItemsTargetA
</item>

</item>

You define something like

<item targetA>
/1 = "placeholder"
/2 = "me"
/3 = "I am"
/4 = "myself"
</item>

Then run an <openended> trial at the start to collect the name. Replace the 1st item in <item targetA> with the response.

<openended name>
/ stimulusframes = [1=yourname]
/ ontrialend = [item.targeta.setitem(openended.name.response,1)]
</openended>

I had to mess around for a little but I was able to make it work.  Thank you!