Millisecond Forums

Survey textbox element crashes Inquisit

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic22003.aspx

By Loukia - 6/29/2017

Hi, 

I have a number of 'radiobuttons' elements on a survey and the 'other' option is defined as a textbox element. No matter what parameters are used for the textbox element [e.g., /mask = alphanumeric; /validresponse = (anyresponse)], after typing a few letters or the spacebar being pressed or sometimes just clicking on the cursor inside the textbox, inquisit crashes completely. I don't see an error in the messages later or warnings, it just closes completely. 
Is this a reported bug with textbox elements used as 'other' responses or would there be an obvious reason this is happening in terms of the code?
This is happening with both lab and online settings.

I have attached the script. See line 213- <textbox gender_other> for example textbox that causes a crash. 

Thanks a lot in advance.
By Dave - 6/29/2017

Loukia - Thursday, June 29, 2017
Hi, 

I have a number of 'radiobuttons' elements on a survey and the 'other' option is defined as a textbox element. No matter what parameters are used for the textbox element [e.g., /mask = alphanumeric; /validresponse = (anyresponse)], after typing a few letters or the spacebar being pressed or sometimes just clicking on the cursor inside the textbox, inquisit crashes completely. I don't see an error in the messages later or warnings, it just closes completely. 
Is this a reported bug with textbox elements used as 'other' responses or would there be an obvious reason this is happening in terms of the code?

I have attached the script. See line 213- <textbox gender_other> for example textbox that causes a crash. 

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm not seeing an obvious issue with the code and I'm also not seeing a crash when selecting the "not listed" option in <radiobuttons gender> and then typing in <textbox gender_other>. Under which Inquisit 4 versions are you seeing the crash, and under which operating system (type and version)?
By Loukia - 6/29/2017

Dave - Thursday, June 29, 2017
Hi, 

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm not seeing an obvious issue with the code and I'm also not seeing a crash when selecting the "not listed" option in <radiobuttons gender> and then typing in <textbox gender_other>. Under which Inquisit 4 versions are you seeing the crash, and under which operating system (type and version)?

Hi Dave, 
This is currently happening in a windows computer, the version is 4.0.9.0 64bit (build 2657). 
Best, 
Loukia
By Loukia - 6/29/2017

Hi, 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Forgot to mention, it also happened in my Macbook - mac OS sierra 10.12.5. The lab computers have Windows 7, I haven't tested it on >Windows 8. 

By Dave - 6/30/2017

Loukia - Friday, June 30, 2017
Hi, 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Forgot to mention, it also happened in my Macbook - mac OS sierra 10.12.5. The lab computers have Windows 7, I haven't tested it on >Windows 8. 

> the version is 4.0.9.0

Thanks. Then the first thing I would ask you to do is to update to the latest release (4.0.10.0; https://www.millisecond.com/download/ ), which is what I've been testing under (and not seeing any crash) and let me know if the issue persists. Thanks!
By Loukia - 6/30/2017

Dave - Friday, June 30, 2017
Loukia - Friday, June 30, 2017
Hi, 

Thanks a lot in advance.

> the version is 4.0.9.0

Thanks. Then the first thing I would ask you to do is to update to the latest release (4.0.10.0; https://www.millisecond.com/download/ ), which is what I've been testing under (and not seeing any crash) and let me know if the issue persists. Thanks!

Hi Dave, 

The update didn't change anything. Would it be possible for the bug to occur only when the full experiment is run- i.e., the eligibility survey I sent you is included in another script (in total 3 for one study). Otherwise, I can't think of anything else, I will have to remove the 'other' responses completely. 

Best, 
Loukia
By Loukia - 7/2/2017

Hi Dave, 

I found the issue and I thought I would report it for future users of the /quitcommand parameter in the <defaults> element. In my main script that includes the survey I specified /quitcommand = (56 + 30). In contrast to what the manual suggests, the words Ctrl and Alt don't work at all ('not valid') so I used the scancode for 'Alt' which is 56.

I figured this was the issue since the crash happened only when I typed the letter 'A'. It seems the quit command was interpreted as the 'A' key only. I have removed the quitcommand completely and it runs perfectly- no crashes so far. However, I need to specify a different quit command so that when the participants want to quit they go to the finish page, instead of simply quiting the program. What are combinations that work in the /quitcommand, if the command keys are not considered valid anymore? 

By Loukia - 7/2/2017

Disregard question about quitcommand- just realized its the opposite- Ctrl+Q will take them to the finish page. I hope the command keys get sorted though as this might be needed in future experiments. :)