Millisecond Forums

Help with /ontrialbegin function to add fixation cross to start of trial

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic22835.aspx

By Greeny - 11/8/2017

Hi Dave,

I want to add a 500ms fixation cross to the start of every trial for this script: 

<trial UU_prac_green>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.primecategory="Unpleasant"; values.targetcategory="Unpleasant"]
/ ontrialbegin = [
values.primeitemnumber = list.UU_prac_primes.nextvalue;
values.targetitemnumber = list.UU_prac_targets.nextvalue;
]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(shape.eraser, (values.primeduration))]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(text.UnpleasantTarget, (values.primeduration + values.pt_isi))]
/ ontrialend = [trial.UU_prac_green.resetstimulusframes()]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = CSNegPrimes_green]
/ beginresponsetime = values.primeduration + values.pt_isi
/ responseinterrupt = immediate
/ monkeyresponse = (18, 23)
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.UU_prac_green.response==values.responsekeyUnpleasant || trial.UU_prac_green.response == values.responsekeyPleasant]
/ iscorrectresponse = [trial.UU_prac_green.response == values.responsekeyUnpleasant]

/ ontrialend = [values.prime = picture.CSNegPrimes_green.currentitem; values.target = text.UnpleasantTarget.currentitem]

/ posttrialpause = values.iti
/ errormessage = true(errorfeedback, 500)
</trial>

How do I do this? I created a text element then tried to insert it before the / ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(shape.eraser, (values.primeduration))] line but the closest I could get was showing a fixation cross, followed by the target stimulus without the prime showing in between.

Thanks,
Luke
By Dave - 11/8/2017

Greeny - Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Hi Dave,

I want to add a 500ms fixation cross to the start of every trial for this script: 

<trial UU_prac_green>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.primecategory="Unpleasant"; values.targetcategory="Unpleasant"]
/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(shape.eraser, (values.primeduration))]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(text.UnpleasantTarget, (values.primeduration + values.pt_isi))]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = CSNegPrimes_green]
/ beginresponsetime = values.primeduration + values.pt_isi
/ isvalidresponse = [trial.UU_prac_green.response==values.responsekeyUnpleasant || trial.UU_prac_green.response == values.responsekeyPleasant]
/ iscorrectresponse = [trial.UU_prac_green.response == values.responsekeyUnpleasant]

/ ontrialend = [values.prime = picture.CSNegPrimes_green.currentitem; values.target = text.UnpleasantTarget.currentitem]

</trial>

How do I do this? I created a text element then tried to insert it before the / ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(shape.eraser, (values.primeduration))] line but the closest I could get was showing a fixation cross, followed by the target stimulus without the prime showing in between.

Thanks,
Luke

If you want it in every trial, you need not use /ontrialbegin. Simply add the thing to the <trial>'s /stimulustimes:

/ stimulustimes = [0 = fixation; 500=CSNegPrimes_green]

with

<text fixation>
/ items = ("+")
</text>

and make sure you adjust the remaining timings accordingly. I.e., you'll want to shift any inserted stimuli by 500ms

<trial UU_prac_green>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(shape.eraser, (values.primeduration + 500))]
/ ontrialbegin = [trial.UU_prac_green.insertstimulustime(text.UnpleasantTarget, (values.primeduration + values.pt_isi + 500))]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = fixation; 500=CSNegPrimes_green]
/ beginresponsetime = values.primeduration + values.pt_isi + 500

</trial>
By Greeny - 11/8/2017

Thanks Dave

By ilanagratch - 11/27/2017

Hi Dave - is there a way to add a pause after a fixation point and before the stimuli?
By Dave - 11/27/2017

ilanagratch - Monday, November 27, 2017

Hi Dave - is there a way to add a pause after a fixation point and before the stimuli?

Sure -- just time the stimuli in the /stimulustimes attribute accordingly. E.g. suppose you want to show a fixation cross for 2000ms, then make it disappear for 1000ms (the "pause"), and then start displaying other stimuli:

/stimulustimes = [0=fixationcross; 2000=erasefixationcross; 2500=somestimulus, ...]

with

<text fixationcross>
/ items = ("+")
</text>

<shape erasefixationcross>
/ shape = rectangle
/ color = white
/ size = (30%,30%)
/ erase = false
</shape>

<text somestimulus>
</text>