Millisecond Forums

Visual Digit Span Test Script Errors

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic22881.aspx

By oasistree - 11/16/2017

Hi everyone,
I was hoping to use the Inquisit 3 version of the Visual Digit Span Test due to lab constraints. However, the script has several severe errors. 
1. Trial feedback is wrong. Even when I put the correct response (numbers in forward or backward order), the feedback is always “incorrect”. I thought it has something to do with the branch ...else function, but I was not able to fix it.
2. There is only 1 trial for the forward task and 1 trial for the backward task--basically the script is broken. It needs to have 14 trials (max) or it returns when participants make 2 consecutive errors.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
By Dave - 11/17/2017

oasistree - Friday, November 17, 2017
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to use the Inquisit 3 version of the Visual Digit Span Test due to lab constraints. However, the script has several severe errors. 
1. Trial feedback is wrong. Even when I put the correct response (numbers in forward or backward order), the feedback is always “incorrect”. I thought it has something to do with the branch ...else function, but I was not able to fix it.
2. There is only 1 trial for the forward task and 1 trial for the backward task--basically the script is broken. It needs to have 14 trials (max) or it returns when participants make 2 consecutive errors.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

> 1. Trial feedback is wrong. Even when I put the correct response (numbers in forward or backward order), the feedback is always “incorrect”.
> I thought it has something to do with the branch ...else function, but I was not able to fix it.

I am unable to reproduce this. I tested the script under Inquisit 3, and I get accurate feedback.

> 2. There is only 1 trial for the forward task and 1 trial for the backward task--basically the script is broken. It needs to have 14 trials (max)
> or it returns when participants make 2 consecutive errors.

I am unable to reproduce this under Inquisit 3 as well. The script runs properly, i.e. doesn't stop after a single trial for me, but instead increases or decreases difficulty as intended.

I suspect you may be using an extremely outdated Inquisit 3 version. You _should_ be using version 3.0.6.0, which you can download via the archives at
https://www.millisecond.com/download/archives.aspx