Millisecond Forums

Help with Stroop task please

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic23194.aspx

By demaioa007 - 1/10/2018

I have downloaded a Stroop task from the library. I programmed the script to randomly display an image. I am wondering how can I see what the participants saw in the data? I have attached both my script and the output data.

-If the data file does not contain the specific image shown each trial, is there a way I can trace back what they saw?

-If not, in the future, what can I program in to the script to be able to see what image was shown each trial?

I am trying to look at if they image on the screen (serving as a distractor) affects the time and accuracy of the results of the stroop task

Thank you
By Dave - 1/10/2018

demaioa007 - Wednesday, January 10, 2018
I have downloaded a Stroop task from the library. I programmed the script to randomly display an image. I am wondering how can I see what the participants saw in the data? I have attached both my script and the output data.

-If the data file does not contain the specific image shown each trial, is there a way I can trace back what they saw?

-If not, in the future, what can I program in to the script to be able to see what image was shown each trial?

I am trying to look at if they image on the screen (serving as a distractor) affects the time and accuracy of the results of the stroop task

Thank you

No, I'm afraid you can't because you did not record that data.

Your <data> element's /columns contains only a single stimulusitem column

<data>
/file = "StroopWithControlKeyboard_raw.iqdat"
/separatefiles = true
/ columns = [build date time subject blockcode blocknum trialcode trialnum values.congruency
            stimulusitem

response correct latency
            expressions.congruentlatency expressions.incongruentlatency expressions.controllatency
            expressions.meanRTcorr_congruent expressions.meanRTcorr_incongruent expressions.meanRTcorr_control
            expressions.congruentcorrect expressions.incongruentcorrect expressions.controlcorrect]
</data>

i.e. it is set up to capture only the item of the 1st stimulus element displayed by each <trial> element, i.e. it will capture the item selected for the bolded stimuli

<trial redcongruent>
/ontrialbegin = [values.count_congruent += 1]
/ontrialbegin = [values.congruency = 1]
/ pretrialpause = 200
/ stimulustimes = [1=redcongruent, redreminder, greenreminder, bluereminder, blackreminder, images]
/ correctresponse = ("d")
/ validresponse = ("d", "f", "j", "k")
/ errormessage = true(x, 400)
/ontrialend = [if (trial.redcongruent.correct) {values.countcorrect_congruent += 1; values.sumrt_congruent += trial.redcongruent.latency}]
</trial>

<trial redincongruent>
/ontrialbegin = [values.count_incongruent += 1]
/ontrialbegin = [values.congruency = 2]
/ pretrialpause = 200
/ stimulustimes = [1=redincongruent, redreminder, greenreminder, bluereminder, blackreminder, images]
/ correctresponse = ("d")
/ validresponse = ("d", "f", "j", "k")
/ errormessage = true(x, 400)
/ontrialend = [if (trial.redincongruent.correct) {values.countcorrect_incongruent += 1; values.sumrt_incongruent += trial.redincongruent.latency}]
</trial>

and so forth. The remaining stimuli (in italics) will not be captured.

You can either add further stimulusitem columns to the /columns attribute, i.e. a total of six to capture all stimuli's items

<data>
/separatefiles = true
/ columns = [build date time subject blockcode blocknum trialcode trialnum values.congruency
            stimulusitem
stimulusitem stimulusitem stimulusitem stimulusitem stimulusitem
            response correct latency
            expressions.congruentlatency expressions.incongruentlatency expressions.controllatency
            expressions.meanRTcorr_congruent expressions.meanRTcorr_incongruent expressions.meanRTcorr_control
            expressions.congruentcorrect expressions.incongruentcorrect expressions.controlcorrect]
</data>

or -- if you only want to capture the item displayed by <picture images> specifically -- you can log that <picture> element's currentitem property:

<data>
/separatefiles = true
            stimulusitem picture.images.currentitem

response correct latency
</data>