Millisecond Forums

mobile version of Inquisit web experiment

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic23753.aspx

By tecnika - 1/23/2018

Hi Dave, when the experiment in Inquisit Web is run on a tablet or on a PC that simulate the tablet (even if it has the keyboard), it creates below the screen some keys. You can see them in the screenshot. Since the experiment is supposed to be run only on a desktop or a laptop PC I would like to deactivate the possibility to use the touchscreen that at the moment is automatically made when using some touchscreen laptop. Or if possible (for other occasions) I would like to correct the position of the touch screen keys presented at the bottom of the screen. In the case that I sent you "M" should be on the right and "Z" on the left...like a keyboard. Would it be possible to manipulate these variables with Inquisit 5?

Thank you,

Elena 

By tecnika - 1/23/2018

tecnika - Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Hi Dave, when the experiment in Inquisit Web is run on a tablet or on a PC that simulate the tablet (even if it has the keyboard), it creates below the screen some keys. You can see them in the screenshot. Since the experiment is supposed to be run only on a desktop or a laptop PC I would like to deactivate the possibility to use the touchscreen that at the moment is automatically made when using some touchscreen laptop. Or if possible (for other occasions) I would like to correct the position of the touch screen keys presented at the bottom of the screen. In the case that I sent you "M" should be on the right and "Z" on the left...like a keyboard. Would it be possible to manipulate these variables with Inquisit 5?

Thank you,

Elena 

The version currently running in the laptop is Inquisit 5.0.10 / log copied below
271891365155.245.53.2600-0A-F7-87-B7-DCWin 8.1Firefox575.0.10.0
By Dave - 1/24/2018

Thank you,

Elena 

The version currently running in the laptop is Inquisit 5.0.10 / log copied below

The buttons corresponding to the define keyboard keys will (or at least should) only appear when running on a device that has no physical keyboard attached (or when the keyboard has otherwise been disabled). Inquisit checks this automatically and then displays the key buttons as needed. The computer.touch and computer.haskeyboard properties reflect whether the given the device has a touch-capable screen and whether Inquisit is able to detect a physical keyboard respectively. The buttons should only appear if computer.touch returns "true" (touchscreen present) and computer.haskeyboard returns "false" (no physical keyboard detected). I'm not quite sure what -- if anything -- you'd like to change about that behavior.
By tecnika - 1/24/2018

Dave - Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Thank you,

Elena 

The buttons corresponding to the define keyboard keys will (or at least should) only appear when running on a device that has no physical keyboard attached (or when the keyboard has otherwise been disabled). Inquisit checks this automatically and then displays the key buttons as needed. The computer.touch and computer.haskeyboard properties reflect whether the given the device has a touch-capable screen and whether Inquisit is able to detect a physical keyboard respectively. The buttons should only appear if computer.touch returns "true" (touchscreen present) and computer.haskeyboard returns "false" (no physical keyboard detected). I'm not quite sure what -- if anything -- you'd like to change about that behavior.

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply. What I would like is that: If the device has the keyboard, I would like the participant to be able to respond with the keyboard. However in a touchscreen windows laptop with keyboard, it appears the grey band. Can I prevent this happening? Thank you, Elena

By Dave - 1/24/2018

Thank you,

Elena 

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply. What I would like is that: If the device has the keyboard, I would like the participant to be able to respond with the keyboard. However in a touchscreen windows laptop with keyboard, it appears the grey band. Can I prevent this happening? Thank you, Elena

> If the device has the keyboard, I would like the participant to be able to respond with the keyboard.

That's what should happen automatically, so it seems that Inquisit cannot detect the keyboard on that specific device for some reason. To check this, could you please run

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]
/ validresponse = (57)
/ screencapture = true
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ items = ("Touchscreen present: <%computer.touch%>
~nPhysical keyboard detected: <%computer.haskeyboard%>")
/ size = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = (build date time subject trialcode response computer.touch computer.haskeyboard)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

on that device and attach the output here? Thanks.
By tecnika - 1/25/2018

Thank you,

Elena 

> If the device has the keyboard, I would like the participant to be able to respond with the keyboard.

That's what should happen automatically, so it seems that Inquisit cannot detect the keyboard on that specific device for some reason. To check this, could you please run

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
/ screencapture = true
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ size = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ columns = (build date time subject trialcode response computer.touch computer.haskeyboard)
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi Dave, thetest says that there is no keyboard detected...even if there is.
By Dave - 1/25/2018

tecnika - Thursday, January 25, 2018

Thank you,

Elena 

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ validresponse = (57)
/ screencapture = true
</trial>

<text mytext>
/ size = (50%, 40%)
</text>

<data>
/ separatefiles = true
</data>

Hi Dave, thetest says that there is no keyboard detected...even if there is.

Thanks -- that explains why the bar shows up then. I don't know why the keyboard cannot be detected on that specific device, but it probably has something to do with some peculiarity in that device's setup (e.g. some non-standard keyboard and/or touchscreen driver) or with the simulation mode you are using (you mentioned " a PC that simulates the tablet"). I can say that the detection generally works fine on Windows tablets that I've seen and tested.

Can you shed some more light on the specific devices you're seeing this under and their specific configurations?
By tecnika - 1/25/2018

Hi Dave,thank you for looking into this!

I can give you the system details, see you attachment. I don’t know the model... I can say that’s a Dell laptop (touchscreen).

Thank you,

E
By Dave - 1/26/2018

tecnika - Friday, January 26, 2018

I can give you the system details, see you attachment. I don’t know the model... I can say that’s a Dell laptop (touchscreen).

Thank you,

E

Thanks for the additional details. Hard to say what's going on without knowing the model number and so forth, so my best guess would be that the drivers Dell ships automatically disable the physical keyboard when the system "thinks" the touch screen may be used. It may be that there are different drivers available or that the device behaves differently when switching from tablet mode (Metro UI) to regular Desktop mode.

Barring that, just to check whether the keyboard can be detected at all, what happens when you temporarily disable touch input? I.e.
- Open the Control Panel (press Windows key + X and select)
- Go to "Hardware and Sound"
- Click "Pen and Touch"
- Go to the "Touch" tab
- Disable "Use your finger as input"
By tecnika - 1/29/2018

Dave - Friday, January 26, 2018
tecnika - Friday, January 26, 2018

Thank you,

E

Thanks for the additional details. Hard to say what's going on without knowing the model number and so forth, so my best guess would be that the drivers Dell ships automatically disable the physical keyboard when the system "thinks" the touch screen may be used. It may be that there are different drivers available or that the device behaves differently when switching from tablet mode (Metro UI) to regular Desktop mode.

Barring that, just to check whether the keyboard can be detected at all, what happens when you temporarily disable touch input? I.e.
- Open the Control Panel (press Windows key + X and select)
- Go to "Hardware and Sound"
- Click "Pen and Touch"
- Go to the "Touch" tab
- Disable "Use your finger as input"

Thank you Dave. I have just advised to do this. I will let you know if the person that had encountered that problem will give it a go. Regards,Elena