Millisecond Forums

Varying response formats in a trial function

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic23792.aspx

By WouterDo - 1/30/2018

Hi,

In the current experiment there should be 2 blocks each consisting block addressing 4 of the 8 probes. Within a block the 4 probes should be presented within 4 subblocks. Each subblock consists of 1 probe, 1 target, 4 irrelevant items and 6 filler items (2 familiar, 4 unfamiliar). Participants should respond with a left key button or familiar to all targets and familiar filler items. A right key button or unfamiliar is required for all probes, irrelevants and unfamiliar items. 
The 2 blocks should be randomized as well as the subblocks.
Within a subblock all items should be presented in random order with 2 restricions:
1) a filler item can never be followed by another filler item
2) each filler item proceeds each of the irrelevants, target and probe items

My problem is the following, how can i achieve this restricted randomization? Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

I sincerely thank you for any help!
If anything is not clear, I would be more than happy to answer.

I added the script in the attachment. 
By Dave - 1/30/2018

WouterDo - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
Hi,

In the current experiment there should be 2 blocks each consisting block addressing 4 of the 8 probes. Within a block the 4 probes should be presented within 4 subblocks. Each subblock consists of 1 probe, 1 target, 4 irrelevant items and 6 filler items (2 familiar, 4 unfamiliar). Participants should respond with a left key button or familiar to all targets and familiar filler items. A right key button or unfamiliar is required for all probes, irrelevants and unfamiliar items. 
Within a subblock all items should be presented in random order with 2 restricions:

My problem is the following, how can i achieve this restricted randomization? Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

> Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

I don't understand what that's supposed to mean.

Beyond that, if I understand your description correctly, each "subblock" should go like this: It starts with 1 filler-trial, and then 1 probe, 1 target, and 4 irrelevant trials follow, each interspersed with another filler trial. E.g.

filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant

Is that correct?

And, generally speaking, to define a "subblock", you simply specify separate selection pools. Instead of

/ trials = [1-108 = noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1)]

you do

/ trials = [1-6= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 7-12= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 13-18= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); ...]

By WouterDo - 1/30/2018

[quote]
Dave - Tuesday, January 30, 2018
[quote]
  Hi, thank you for answering!
Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials).

What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function?
And is this kind of randomization possible?
If anything is still unclear, let me know!

By WouterDo - 1/30/2018

Hi,

> Is there a way to differentiate the response formats to different items in a list within a trial function?

Beyond that, if I understand your description correctly, each "subblock" should go like this: It starts with 1 filler-trial, and then 1 probe, 1 target, and 4 irrelevant trials follow, each interspersed with another filler trial. E.g.

filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant

Is that correct?

And, generally speaking, to define a "subblock", you simply specify separate selection pools. Instead of

/ trials = [1-108 = noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,

you do

/ trials = [1-6= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 7-12= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,
real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1); 13-18= noreplace(real_PROBE_CC1, real_TARGET_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1, real_IRRELEVANT_CC1,

Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials). 
What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function? 
By Dave - 1/31/2018

WouterDo - Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Hi,

Is that correct?

you do

"Instead of a fixed presentation sequence (filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> target -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> irrelevant -> filler -> probe -> filler -> irrelevant), all items should be presented randomly within a subblock. However, When selecting the items randomly the program should know that a filler cannot be followed by another filler (eg., filler -> filler -> probe -> … is not allowed). Moreover, each of the fillers should precede every irrelevant, probe and target item within that randomization (so, filler1-> probe, filler2 -> probe, filler3->probe,…, filler 1-> irrelevant1, filler 2-> irrelevant1,…, filler1->target: all these combined trials should be presented randomly among the other trials)."

I'm not sure how that is different from what I said?

"What I mean by differing response formats is that, if you take those combinations in a trial (eg, filler1 (familiar) -> probe1), filler1 requires a left response while probe1 requires a right response. So, is there a way to define different response keys for different items within a trial function?"

I don't understand this either. You would set up at least one separate <trial> element that presents the filler stimuli / items. That trial element can be configured however you need it to be, just like all the other <trial> elements: You define the /validresponse keys, and you define the /correctresponse. If you need to have the correct response change depending on some factor (e.g. the item number), you can achieve that using /iscorrectresponse logic. Plenty examples for that are available in this forum and many if not most library scripts make use of that as well. See e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic15354.aspx#bm15355
This is completely independent of any of the other <trial> elements, i.e. it doesn't matter that a different response is the correct one in the probe <trial>.