Millisecond Forums

playing .mov

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic23816.aspx

By Robyn - 2/2/2018

It's my first time trying to play a video in a script. I'm trying to play a .mov. The script runs, but when it gets to the video block I get errors:

Inquisit media error: cannot play back the file: the format is not supported. line 74: file win/MediaPlayerControl.cpp
Unable to the load media file [file location]. Verify the file is of a supported video format. 

I thought .mov was supported. Please help.

here is my script for the video part:

<trial videos>
/ stimulusframes = [1 = videotext; 2 = videos]
/ trialduration = 500
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ items = ("We are interested in what people think of videos that commonly appear on sources like twitter and youtube. On the next page, you will see a randomly selected video from one of those sites. Pelase watch the video and then we will ask you some questions about the video and your attitudes toward various social issues. ")
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 25, false, false, false, false, 5)
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ items = ("honor.mov", "victim.mov", "dignity.mov")
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<block videos>
/ screencolor = (255,255,255)
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>
By Dave - 2/2/2018

Robyn - Friday, February 2, 2018
It's my first time trying to play a video in a script. I'm trying to play a .mov. The script runs, but when it gets to the video block I get errors:

Inquisit media error: cannot play back the file: the format is not supported. line 74: file win/MediaPlayerControl.cpp
Unable to the load media file [file location]. Verify the file is of a supported video format. 

<trial videos>
/ trialduration = 500
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ items = ("We are interested in what people think of videos that commonly appear on sources like twitter and youtube. On the next page, you will see a randomly selected video from one of those sites. Pelase watch the video and then we will ask you some questions about the video and your attitudes toward various social issues. ")
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

Inquisit relies on the codecs available on the system to render videos -- if the system had a suitable codec for rendering MOVs installed, it would work. The MOV format, however, is not well-supported under Windows, i.e. Windows doesn't come with a suitable codec out of the box, and most people will not have sought and installed a suitable codec separately.

You should either use a video format that is supported across platforms out of the box (e.g. MPG) or administer different video formats on different platforms by using conditional <include> elements (i.e. administer MOVs under Mac OS, administer WMVs under Windows).

See the "Remarks" section at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/language/elements/video.htm

and see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost9931.aspx for syntax example of conditional <include> elements to administer different formats under different operating systems.
By Robyn - 2/2/2018

Dave - Friday, February 2, 2018

<trial videos>
/ trialduration = 500
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

Inquisit relies on the codecs available on the system to render videos -- if the system had a suitable codec for rendering MOVs installed, it would work. The MOV format, however, is not well-supported under Windows, i.e. Windows doesn't come with a suitable codec out of the box, and most people will not have sought and installed a suitable codec separately.

You should either use a video format that is supported across platforms out of the box (e.g. MPG) or administer different video formats on different platforms by using conditional <include> elements (i.e. administer MOVs under Mac OS, administer WMVs under Windows).

See the "Remarks" section at https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v4/html/language/elements/video.htm

and see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost9931.aspx for syntax example of conditional <include> elements to administer different formats under different operating systems.

Thanks. I now have both .mpg and .mov versions of the videos but I'm still getting an error. 

unable to open file (file location ending responsevideos.iqx). no such file or directory (Error code: 5)

What am I doing wrong with the syntax?   thank you.

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

<trial videos>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ items = responsevideos
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<include>
/ precondition=[computer.platform == "windows"]
/ file="responsevideos.iqx"
</include>

<item responsevideos>
/ 1 = "honor.mpg"
/ 2 = "victim.mpg"
/ 3 = "dignity.mpg"
</item>

<include>
/ precondition=[computer.platform == "mac"]
</include>

<item mov_videos>
/ 1 = "honor.mov"
/ 2 = "victim.mov"
/ 3 = "dignity.mov"
</item>

By Dave - 2/2/2018

Dave - Friday, February 2, 2018

<trial videos>
/ trialduration = 500
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

Thanks. I now have both .mpg and .mov versions of the videos but I'm still getting an error. 

unable to open file (file location ending responsevideos.iqx). no such file or directory (Error code: 5)

What am I doing wrong with the syntax?   thank you.

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

<trial videos>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ items = responsevideos
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<include>
/ precondition=[computer.platform == "windows"]
</include>

<item responsevideos>
/ 1 = "honor.mpg"
/ 2 = "victim.mpg"
/ 3 = "dignity.mpg"
</item>

<include>
</include>

<item mov_videos>
/ 1 = "honor.mov"
/ 2 = "victim.mov"
/ 3 = "dignity.mov"
</item>

Please re-read https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic9930.aspx#bm9931

If you want to take the conditional <include> route, you need _three_ files:

(1) Your first file, lets call it myexperiment.iqx is the main file. It should contain the following and nothing else:

<block videos>
/ trials = [1 = videos]
</block>

<trial videos>
/ validresponse = (57)
</trial>

<text videotext>
/ size = (40%, 40%)
/ position = (50%,70%)
</text>

<video videos>
/ items = responsevideos
/ select = random
/ selectionrate = block
/ position = (50%,25%)
</video>

<include>
/ precondition=[computer.platform == "win"]
/ file="responsevideos_win.iqx"
</include>

<include>
/ file="responsevideos_mac.iqx"
</include>

(2) Your 2nd file -- called responsevideos_win.iqx -- should contain the following and nothing else:

<item responsevideos>
/ 1 = "honor.mpg"
/ 2 = "victim.mpg"
/ 3 = "dignity.mpg"
</item>

(3) Your 3rd file -- called responsevideos_mac.iqx -- should contain the following and nothing else:

<item responsevideos>
/ 1 = "honor.mov"
/ 2 = "victim.mov"
/ 3 = "dignity.mov"
</item>

All files should be located alongside each other in the same directory.