Millisecond Forums

How to play sound on a loop until a correct response is given

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic24477.aspx

By alvin.theodorus - 3/27/2018

Hi!

So i'm just starting to learn Inquisit, and i'm trying to modify PASAT so an error sound will be continuously presented until a correct response is given. Is there anyway i can do this? Any help is really appreciated

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Alvin
By Dave - 3/27/2018

alvin.theodorus - Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Hi!

So i'm just starting to learn Inquisit, and i'm trying to modify PASAT so an error sound will be continuously presented until a correct response is given. Is there anyway i can do this? Any help is really appreciated

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Alvin

Yes, you can do this by modifying the respective <trial> element(s) that take the response like so:

<trial test>
/ inputdevice = mouse
/ ontrialbegin =
            [
                values.prevDigit = values.currentDigit;
                values.currentDigit = list.number.nextvalue;
                values.currentSum = format("%i", values.prevDigit + values.currentDigit);
            ]
/ stimulusframes = [1=numbers,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
/ validresponse = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
/ correctresponse = (values.currentSum)
/ response = correct
/ errormessage = (errorsound, 500)
/ branch = [if (trial.test.count < values.totalTrials) trial.test]
</trial>

<video errorsound>
/ items = ("error.mp3")
/ loop = true
</video>

Note, however, that modifying the the task like that essentially eliminates the "paced" nature of the procedure.

The above is the modification for the test block / part of the PASAT, but modifying the practice part works the same way (just change <trial practice> instead of <trial test>).