Millisecond Forums

Verbal simple reaction time

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic24521.aspx

By Anadepte - 4/5/2018

Hello,

I am using Inquisit 5 for the first time and I am looking for the possibility of recording verbal reaction times.
I am conducting a clinical project with a dual task paradigm, in which the primary task is a standard medical procedure, and the secondary task should be a simple reaction time test, with verbal response. Therefore I need a simple reaction time test, similar to the one in Inquisit library, but with the recording of verbal ("voicekey") response instead of pressing the space bar on the keybord.

Anyone can help?

I guess it is not a difficult case, but I ha ve never used Inquisit before and I couldn't modify the script of the Simple Reaction Time test in the library for my purpose.

Thank you very much.
By Dave - 4/6/2018

Anadepte - Friday, April 6, 2018
Hello,

I am using Inquisit 5 for the first time and I am looking for the possibility of recording verbal reaction times.
I am conducting a clinical project with a dual task paradigm, in which the primary task is a standard medical procedure, and the secondary task should be a simple reaction time test, with verbal response. Therefore I need a simple reaction time test, similar to the one in Inquisit library, but with the recording of verbal ("voicekey") response instead of pressing the space bar on the keybord.

Anyone can help?

I guess it is not a difficult case, but I ha ve never used Inquisit before and I couldn't modify the script of the Simple Reaction Time test in the library for my purpose.

Thank you very much.

Happy to help -- but what specifically are you having trouble with / what specific questions do you have re. modifying, for example, the Simple Reaction Time library script for voice input?
By Anadepte - 4/12/2018

Dave - Friday, April 6, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Happy to help -- but what specifically are you having trouble with / what specific questions do you have re. modifying, for example, the Simple Reaction Time library script for voice input?

Thank you Dave! Yes, I'd like the Simple Reaction Time presents in the library but with the voice input response. Becasue of my first time with Inquisit, I found difficulties with the script "voicekey" instead of keyboard.
Thank you!

By Dave - 4/13/2018

Anadepte - Friday, April 13, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you Dave! Yes, I'd like the Simple Reaction Time presents in the library but with the voice input response. Becasue of my first time with Inquisit, I found difficulties with the script "voicekey" instead of keyboard.
Thank you!

Taking the visual SRTT as example, change <trial SRTT> to

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (parameters.fixed == 1)
            {parameters.targetx = list.targetposition.nextvalue;
            parameters.targety= list.targetposition.nextvalue};

values.stiminterval = list.stimulusinterval.nextvalue;
    trial.SRTT.insertstimulustime(shape.targetcircle, values.stiminterval);
]
/ stimulustimes = [0 = focus]
/ beginresponsetime = values.stiminterval
/ inputdevice = voicekey
/ validresponse = (anyresponse)

/ ontrialend = [trial.SRTT.resetstimulusframes()]
/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

and set a suitable /voicekeythreshold in the script's <defaults>, e.g.

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3.5%)
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
/ txcolor = (255, 255, 255)
/ minimumversion = "5.0.0.0"
/canvasaspectratio = (4,3)
</defaults>

And that's basically all there is to it.
By Anadepte - 4/15/2018

Dave - Friday, April 13, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

Hi Dave! I gonna use simple reaction time - auditory but instead of the keyboard the vocal response. I attach here the complete script with changes. Sorry if I take advantage of your availability and thank you once more again.
By Dave - 4/16/2018

Anadepte - Monday, April 16, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

Hi Dave! I gonna use simple reaction time - auditory but instead of the keyboard the vocal response. I attach here the complete script with changes. Sorry if I take advantage of your availability and thank you once more again.

And what are the things you need assistance with? For what it's worth,

<parameters>
/targetspeaker = -10000 (because we gonna use just left speaker)
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/speakerfixed = 0 (I don’t know what 0 means here, maybe I need to put -10000?)
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

should remain as-is, i.e. set to 0. If set to 1,

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
    if (parameters.speakerfixed == 1)
                            {parameters.targetspeaker = list.targetchannel.nextvalue};
    if (parameters.volumefixed == 1)
                            {parameters.volumeadjust = list.targetvolumeadjust.nextvalue};
    trial.SRTT.insertstimulustime(sound.target, values.stiminterval);
]

The speaker would be determined randomly.
By Anadepte - 4/16/2018

Dave - Monday, April 16, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

Because it doesn't work properly, anyway thank you for all your patience.
By Dave - 4/17/2018

Anadepte - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

What is not working properly?
By Anadepte - 4/17/2018

Dave - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Anadepte - Tuesday, April 17, 2018
Hello,

Anyone can help?

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [

]
/ inputdevice = voicekey

/ branch = [trial.SRTT] 
</trial>

<defaults>
/ voicekeythreshold = 15
/ screencolor = (white)
/ txbgcolor = (0,0,0)
</defaults>

<parameters>
/volumeadjust = 0
/maxtrialnumber = 20
/screencolor = white
/volumefixed = 0
</parameters>

<trial SRTT>
/ ontrialbegin = [
]

What is not working properly?

I can hear the sound just for one time (and not for 20 times at a random interstimulus interval) and the verbal response is not recordered so I don't have the latency..
By Dave - 4/18/2018

Anadepte - Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I can hear the sound just for one time (and not for 20 times at a random interstimulus interval) and the verbal response is not recordered so I don't have the latency..

I ran the script and it works properly for me. I've attached the script as well as one of the data files created so you can see for yourself. If the script stalls for you after the 1st playback of the sound and then doesn't move on, this means Inquisit isn't getting any input from the microphone. Make sure it's not muted.
By Anadepte - 4/18/2018

Dave - Wednesday, April 18, 2018

I ran the script and it works properly for me. I've attached the script as well as one of the data files created so you can see for yourself. If the script stalls for you after the 1st playback of the sound and then doesn't move on, this means Inquisit isn't getting any input from the microphone. Make sure it's not muted.

Yes, the volume of microphone was very law, I changed it and it works until the end of the script but some sounds stopped sharply so in my data files (thanks for yours!) under "latency" for those stimulus there is 0. I gonna try to change computer. 
By Anadepte - 4/19/2018

Anadepte - Thursday, April 19, 2018
Dave - Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Yes, the volume of microphone was very law, I changed it and it works until the end of the script but some sounds stopped sharply so in my data files (thanks for yours!) under "latency" for those stimulus there is 0. I gonna try to change computer. 

I gonna send you my data files because I changed the computer and checked microphone/left speaker but I have the same problems. What could it be?
By Dave - 4/20/2018

Anadepte - Friday, April 20, 2018

I gonna send you my data files because I changed the computer and checked microphone/left speaker but I have the same problems. What could it be?

Please be more specific -- what are those problems exactly? And what are the respective data files supposed to show with respect to the problem? Are they all from the same computer or are they from different ones? Also, only the 1st two data files show a zero latency, the 3rd data file shows no such thing. Finally, please don't only attach data files without any context, please at the very least also attach the actual script that you ran, including (!) any external files that script needs to run (e.g. the audio file). Thanks.
By Anadepte - 2/18/2019

Dave - Friday, April 20, 2018

Please be more specific -- what are those problems exactly? And what are the respective data files supposed to show with respect to the problem? Are they all from the same computer or are they from different ones? Also, only the 1st two data files show a zero latency, the 3rd data file shows no such thing. Finally, please don't only attach data files without any context, please at the very least also attach the actual script that you ran, including (!) any external files that script needs to run (e.g. the audio file). Thanks.

Hi Dave, sorry if I never replied and thanked you for your help. I came back just now and I need of your help once again. The script worked properly for some months during the free version but after we bought the program it doesn't work properly again. I mean sometimes the sound chokes (I can't hear the complete audio) so I don't have the time to answer or I can hear just 2/3 inputs and it stop to run. Could you try to run the script on your computer?

Thank you very much.
Costanza
By Dave - 2/18/2019

Anadepte - Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Dave - Friday, April 20, 2018

Hi Dave, sorry if I never replied and thanked you for your help. I came back just now and I need of your help once again. The script worked properly for some months during the free version but after we bought the program it doesn't work properly again. I mean sometimes the sound chokes (I can't hear the complete audio) so I don't have the time to answer or I can hear just 2/3 inputs and it stop to run. Could you try to run the script on your computer?

Thank you very much.
Costanza

It's working fine for me under Inquisit 5.0.14.0.
By Anadepte - 2/19/2019

Thank you Dave.