Millisecond Forums

Colour Change in instructions htm file

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic24672.aspx

By sherry09 - 4/30/2018

Hello, 
I am new to Inquisit, so not sure if this question has been asked before. I am trying to change one of the colours from "yellow" to "purple" for an emotional Stroop task. I was able to successfully change the colours in the .iqx file but the instructions htm file is still yellow. I have tried making new html file for it but unfortunately, it also shows up with 
  • - <%parameters.yellowlabel%> for purple words instead of the actual response key in the program. 
My question is I am not sure how to fix this? and it is possible for me to change the entire html file to text and just type in the response keys myself instead of having the command "parameters yellowlabel". 

I am sorry if there is an obvious answer. I am very new to Inquisit. 

Thanks!! 
Sherry09
By Dave - 4/30/2018

sherry09 - Monday, April 30, 2018
Hello, 
I am new to Inquisit, so not sure if this question has been asked before. I am trying to change one of the colours from "yellow" to "purple" for an emotional Stroop task. I was able to successfully change the colours in the .iqx file but the instructions htm file is still yellow. I have tried making new html file for it but unfortunately, it also shows up with 
  • - <%parameters.yellowlabel%> for purple words instead of the actual response key in the program. 
My question is I am not sure how to fix this? and it is possible for me to change the entire html file to text and just type in the response keys myself instead of having the command "parameters yellowlabel". 

Thanks!! 
Sherry09

To edit the original HTML file, open it in a simple text editor such as Notepad under Windows. Do _not_ use a word processor or other kind of "rich text" editor -- these will convert the "<" and ">" characters in

<%parameters.yellowlabel%>

to HTML encoding, i.e. &lt and &gt, and that will prevent the HTML file from displaying the actual value of parameters.yellowlabel. Instead it will display the text "<%parameters.yellowlabel%>"
By sherry09 - 4/30/2018

Dave - Monday, April 30, 2018
Hello, 

Thanks!! 
Sherry09

To edit the original HTML file, open it in a simple text editor such as Notepad under Windows. Do _not_ use a word processor or other kind of "rich text" editor -- these will convert the "<" and ">" characters in

to HTML encoding, i.e. &lt and &gt, and that will prevent the HTML file from displaying the actual value of parameters.yellowlabel. Instead it will display the text "<%parameters.yellowlabel%>"

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried that. I made new html instruction files but instead of the actual response key "k", it says <%parameters.yellowlabel%>. I am not sure how this works, but can I just make another html file and manually change <%parameters.yellowlabel%> to letter "k" and run that on Inquisit? 

Thanks so much! 
Sherry09
By Dave - 4/30/2018

Hello, 

Thanks!! 
Sherry09

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried that. I made new html instruction files but instead of the actual response key "k", it says <%parameters.yellowlabel%>. I am not sure how this works, but can I just make another html file and manually change <%parameters.yellowlabel%> to letter "k" and run that on Inquisit? 

Thanks so much! 
Sherry09

Yes, you can do that. But let me try to illustrate the difference with an example (attached below). Download the ZIP, exract it and run the very simple example script:

<parameters>
/ favorite_food = "pizza"
</parameters>

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (righthtml, wronghtml)
</expt>

<htmlpage righthtml>
/ file = "right.html"
</htmlpage>

<htmlpage wronghtml>
/ file = "wrong.html"
</htmlpage>

Now, open right.html in Notepad, and you'll see this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>This is right</h1>

<p>My favorite food is <%parameters.favorite_food%>.</p>

</body>
</html>

Open wrong.html in Notepad, and you'll see this instead:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>This is wrong</h1>

<p>My favorite food is &lt;%parameters.favorite_food%&gt;.</p>

</body>
</html>

The latter is the problem with your HTML file. You need to change &lt; and &gt; back to < and > in the HTML source code.
By sherry09 - 4/30/2018

Hello, 

Thanks!! 
Sherry09

Hi Dave, 

Thanks so much! 
Sherry09

Yes, you can do that. But let me try to illustrate the difference with an example (attached below). Download the ZIP, exract it and run the very simple example script:

<parameters>
/ favorite_food = "pizza"
</parameters>

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (righthtml, wronghtml)
</expt>

<htmlpage righthtml>
/ file = "right.html"
</htmlpage>

<htmlpage wronghtml>
/ file = "wrong.html"
</htmlpage>

Now, open right.html in Notepad, and you'll see this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>This is right</h1>

<p>My favorite food is <%parameters.favorite_food%>.</p>

</body>
</html>

Open wrong.html in Notepad, and you'll see this instead:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>

<h1>This is wrong</h1>

<p>My favorite food is &lt;%parameters.favorite_food%&gt;.</p>

</body>
</html>

The latter is the problem with your HTML file. You need to change &lt; and &gt; back to < and > in the HTML source code.

That's great!!! Thanks Dave :) I appreciate your help. 

Sherry09