Millisecond Forums

Select

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25179.aspx

By 12twombly - 6/27/2018

Hi! 

In my design I am having participants identify written languages that are presented on a computer (presented in the form of sentences). There are 30 sentences for each of the five languages that we are testing participants on (English, Arabic, Mandarin, French, and Spanish). Currently I have Inquisit programmed to randomly select 10 different sentences from the entire list of sentences equaling 10 total trials. The sentences are currently arranged in groups based on the language: 
Ex:
<text englishsentences>
/ numitems = 30
/ items = englishsentences
/ position = (65, 50)
/ fontstyle = ("Times New Roman", 40pt)

</text>

<item englishsentences>
/ 1 = "Bats are mammals even though they can fly."

However, I would like to change this so that each participant is still presented with the 10 trials but that each participant will at least receive two sentences in each of the five languages. The order in which the sentences are presented does not matter. I am just trying to make sure that each person gets 10 trials and sees all of the five languages twice.

Any ideas of how I begin to structure this on Inquisit 5?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
By Dave - 6/27/2018

12twombly - Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Hi! 

In my design I am having participants identify written languages that are presented on a computer (presented in the form of sentences). There are 30 sentences for each of the five languages that we are testing participants on (English, Arabic, Mandarin, French, and Spanish). Currently I have Inquisit programmed to randomly select 10 different sentences from the entire list of sentences equaling 10 total trials. The sentences are currently arranged in groups based on the language: 
Ex:
<text englishsentences>
/ numitems = 30
/ position = (65, 50)

</text>

<item englishsentences>
/ 1 = "Bats are mammals even though they can fly."

However, I would like to change this so that each participant is still presented with the 10 trials but that each participant will at least receive two sentences in each of the five languages. The order in which the sentences are presented does not matter. I am just trying to make sure that each person gets 10 trials and sees all of the five languages twice.

Any ideas of how I begin to structure this on Inquisit 5?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I assume you have set up separate <trial> elements for the five different languages, i.e. something like

<trial englishtrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=englishsentences, ...]
</trial>

<trial arabictrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=arabicsentences, ...]
</trial>

and so forth.

If so, you can simply set up your <block> to present two trials each:

<block someblock>
/ trials = [1-10 = noreplace(englishtrial, arabictrial, mandarintrial, frenchtrial, spanishtrial]
</block>

If, additionally, you want to prevent participants from seeing the same sentence in different languages (e.g. the 1st English item and the 1st French item), you can set the various <text> elements to sample item numbers from a common <list>, i.e.

<list itemnumbers>
/ poolsize = 30
</list>

with

<text englishsentences>
/ select = list.itemnumbers.nextindex
/ position = (65, 50)

</text>

<text arabicsentences>
/ select = list.itemnumbers.nextindex