Millisecond Forums

Canvassize and canvasaspectratio - blank space on right side of screen

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25218.aspx

By Bibliophelia - 7/10/2018

Hi there Supreme Beings,

As I said in my last post (https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic25207.aspx), I am fairly new to coding. I appreciate your help!

I am running an adapted version of the Decision Board Task and keep having consistent issues with the size of my screen. I use a Mac and have the latest version of Inquisit 4. My laptop has a screen size of 1440 x 900.

No matter what I do to the canvasaspectratio or the canvassize for my experiment portion, I seem to have a chunk on the right side of my screen that's just blank. I'd really like to have my task nicely centered and to use as much of the screen size as I can. For an aspect ratio of (14.4, 9), the blank space on the right is 3cm, for an aspect ratio of (4, 3)  - this is the original code - it's around 5.5 cm, and for (16, 9) it's around 3.5 cm. I get these results when running canvassize = (100%, 100%) and canvasposition = (50%, 50%).

In order to exploit the full size of my screen, I started some aspects of my stimuli a bit to the left (-5%) but I don't seem to be able to do the same for the right side. When I go too far right (the 100% mark), my stimuli are cut off. Is there a way to go "beyond" the 100% mark, like I do with the "negative" percentages on the left side of the screen? Or can I insert my screen propotions elsewhere into the code (attached)?

Thank you so much!
Julia
By Dave - 7/11/2018

Bibliophelia - Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Hi there Supreme Beings,

As I said in my last post (https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic25207.aspx), I am fairly new to coding. I appreciate your help!

I am running an adapted version of the Decision Board Task and keep having consistent issues with the size of my screen. I use a Mac and have the latest version of Inquisit 4. My laptop has a screen size of 1440 x 900.

No matter what I do to the canvasaspectratio or the canvassize for my experiment portion, I seem to have a chunk on the right side of my screen that's just blank. I'd really like to have my task nicely centered and to use as much of the screen size as I can. For an aspect ratio of (14.4, 9), the blank space on the right is 3cm, for an aspect ratio of (4, 3)  - this is the original code - it's around 5.5 cm, and for (16, 9) it's around 3.5 cm. I get these results when running canvassize = (100%, 100%) and canvasposition = (50%, 50%).

In order to exploit the full size of my screen, I started some aspects of my stimuli a bit to the left (-5%) but I don't seem to be able to do the same for the right side. When I go too far right (the 100% mark), my stimuli are cut off. Is there a way to go "beyond" the 100% mark, like I do with the "negative" percentages on the left side of the screen? Or can I insert my screen propotions elsewhere into the code (attached)?

Thank you so much!
Julia

> No matter what I do to the canvasaspectratio or the canvassize for my experiment portion, I seem to have a chunk on the right side of my screen that's just blank.

I assume this is simply due to to the fact that the various stimuli are positioned relative to the left margin of the canvas?

<text Weather>
/items = ("Weather")
/position = (15.5%, 10%)
/halign = left
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, true, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/txbgcolor = white
/erase = false
</text>

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you want the end result to be.
By Bibliophelia - 7/11/2018

Dave - Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Hi there Supreme Beings,

Thank you so much!
Julia

> No matter what I do to the canvasaspectratio or the canvassize for my experiment portion, I seem to have a chunk on the right side of my screen that's just blank.

I assume this is simply due to to the fact that the various stimuli are positioned relative to the left margin of the canvas?

<text Weather>
/items = ("Weather")
/position = (15.5%, 10%)
/halign = left
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/txbgcolor = white
/erase = false
</text>

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response!

It's not the alignment of individual components of the experiment page that bother me. I could decide to align components such as the word "Weather" differently but it wouldn't fix that blank space to the right of my screen (it's visible in the screenshot I attached with my original post). The position is my problem. I can position things on the screen as far to the left as I would like. But for the right side of the screen, I can't put anything as close to the edge of the screen as I would like.

What I want is to get as close to the right side of my screen as I currently get to the left side. I want to make use of the entire width of my screen but seem to be unable to achieve that. Any suggestions? Clearly, I can manipulate how much space there is with aspectratio, but never to a degree where it doesn't look like I have a weird blank space to the right of my screen. I am attaching an annotated screenshot to show what I mean.

Thank you again!
Julia

Than
By Dave - 7/12/2018

Bibliophelia - Thursday, July 12, 2018
Dave - Wednesday, July 11, 2018
Hi there Supreme Beings,

Thank you so much!
Julia

<text Weather>
/items = ("Weather")
/position = (15.5%, 10%)
/halign = left
/ txcolor = (0, 0, 0)
/txbgcolor = white
/erase = false
</text>

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response!

It's not the alignment of individual components of the experiment page that bother me. I could decide to align components such as the word "Weather" differently but it wouldn't fix that blank space to the right of my screen (it's visible in the screenshot I attached with my original post). The position is my problem. I can position things on the screen as far to the left as I would like. But for the right side of the screen, I can't put anything as close to the edge of the screen as I would like.

What I want is to get as close to the right side of my screen as I currently get to the left side. I want to make use of the entire width of my screen but seem to be unable to achieve that. Any suggestions? Clearly, I can manipulate how much space there is with aspectratio, but never to a degree where it doesn't look like I have a weird blank space to the right of my screen. I am attaching an annotated screenshot to show what I mean.

Thank you again!
Julia

Than

The annotation doesn't quite match what's defined in the script. Take the "Make Decision" button:

<text Finish>
/items = ("Make Decision")
/size = (25%, 5%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 3%, false, false, false, false, 5, 1)
/ txcolor = (white)
/txbgcolor = blue
/hjustify = center
/vjustify = center
/position =  (75%, 90%)
/erase = false
</text>

This element, however isn't aligned relative to the left margin, so it's left border is *not* in fact at 75%. The *center* of the blue rectangle is what's at 75% (/halign = center is the default behavior, for alignment relative to the left margin set /halign = left).

(The red line in the above is at 75%.)

So, if you wish to push things further out to the right side of your screen, all you should have to do is choose larger values for the respective elements' horizontal positions. Or am I still missing something? Sorry, it's not quite clear to me what the perceived problem and desired end state are still.