Millisecond Forums

trial stimulustimes

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25338.aspx

By scollin - 7/25/2018

I have set up an experiment in Inquisit where participants see, on each trial, a fixation cross followed by 5 different stimuli, presented subsequently one at the time. It then saves all participants' responses during the trial in 'values.responses'. Currently, the times when each stimulus comes on the screen during a trial is set in stimulustimes in milliseconds (see below). However, I was wondering if it is possible to set it up in such a way that the trial continues to the next stimulus in the trial only when the participant pressed a button, e.g. the space bar. in other words, that 'learning2' stimulus would not onset at 7000 milliseconds but would wait until the participant has pressed the button, etc. Thanks!

<trial learning>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.responses="";]
/ stimulustimes = [1=fixation; 1000=learning1; 7000=learning2; 27000=learning3; 58000=learning4; 84000=learning5]
/ isvalidresponse = [{values.responses=concat(concat(values.responses, ","), trial.learning.response); false;}]
/ recorddata = true
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ responseinterrupt = trial
/ timeout = 50000
</trial>
By Dave - 7/25/2018

scollin - Wednesday, July 25, 2018
I have set up an experiment in Inquisit where participants see, on each trial, a fixation cross followed by 5 different stimuli, presented subsequently one at the time. It then saves all participants' responses during the trial in 'values.responses'. Currently, the times when each stimulus comes on the screen during a trial is set in stimulustimes in milliseconds (see below). However, I was wondering if it is possible to set it up in such a way that the trial continues to the next stimulus in the trial only when the participant pressed a button, e.g. the space bar. in other words, that 'learning2' stimulus would not onset at 7000 milliseconds but would wait until the participant has pressed the button, etc. Thanks!

<trial learning>
/ stimulustimes = [1=fixation; 1000=learning1; 7000=learning2; 27000=learning3; 58000=learning4; 84000=learning5]
/ isvalidresponse = [{values.responses=concat(concat(values.responses, ","), trial.learning.response); false;}]
/ recorddata = true
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ timeout = 50000
</trial>

To do this, you would have to split things into separate trials and run them in sequence. I.e. trial presents learning1 and waits for a response, then trial that presents learning2 and waits for a response, trial that presents learning3 and waits for response, and so forth.
By scollin - 7/25/2018

Dave - Wednesday, July 25, 2018
scollin - Wednesday, July 25, 2018

<trial learning>
/ recorddata = true
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ timeout = 50000
</trial>

To do this, you would have to split things into separate trials and run them in sequence. I.e. trial presents learning1 and waits for a response, then trial that presents learning2 and waits for a response, trial that presents learning3 and waits for response, and so forth.

Ok, thanks!