Millisecond Forums

Downloading files - loading more than stored?

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25389.aspx

By ArifahAd - 8/6/2018

I was just wondering - I have around 100 image files in my experiment, but when I run the script it takes quite a long time to load. The start screen says "Loading Files" and at the bottom has "Downloading files" and an incrementing number that I assume is the number of files downloading, but it goes up to around 500. Why is this?
By Dave - 8/6/2018

ArifahAd - Monday, August 6, 2018
I was just wondering - I have around 100 image files in my experiment, but when I run the script it takes quite a long time to load. The start screen says "Loading Files" and at the bottom has "Downloading files" and an incrementing number that I assume is the number of files downloading, but it goes up to around 500. Why is this?

Yes, downloading a large number of files can take a while, depending on the exact amount of files and their respective sizes -- smaller files will download faster, so if you're using uncompressed image files or very high-resolution images, you can speed things up by using stronger compression and reducing the resolution.

The number displayed at the bottom of the "Downloading files..." screen does not reflect downloads alone, but is more akin to a count of the total preparatory actions taken by Inquisit. Only a fraction of that would be downloads, the count also includes things like parsing the code, loading files into memory so they're quickly available at runtime and need not be read from disk (which is slow), and so forth. Hope this clarifies.