Millisecond Forums

AAT via touchscreen

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25578.aspx

By tanschi - 9/24/2018

Hi,

in our research project we would like to implement an Approach Avoidance Task on an iPad via touchscreen. I found out using Inquisit 5 it is possible to just use the mouse-AAT script for the conduction on the iPad.

The execution of the AAT via touchscreen (analogue to the mouse task) is somehow uncommon compared to the typical movements on mobile devices (e.g. you have to reach the upper/lower rim of the screen until the picture vanishes vs. you just swipe upwards oder downwards). My question is whether it is possible to adapt the script that swiping movements suffice as reactions.

Besides, we would like to modify the zooming effect. Instead of the picture size increasing oder decreasing we would like the picture in a 3D-format (3D-effect for edges) to move towards/away from the participant while the picture size only slightly increases/decreases. Would this be possible to implement in Inquisit? We already have an AAT of that kind programmed with Unity, but for us it would be a lot easier if we could conduct it in Inquisit. 

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

By Dave - 9/24/2018

tanschi - Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Hi,

in our research project we would like to implement an Approach Avoidance Task on an iPad via touchscreen. I found out using Inquisit 5 it is possible to just use the mouse-AAT script for the conduction on the iPad.

The execution of the AAT via touchscreen (analogue to the mouse task) is somehow uncommon compared to the typical movements on mobile devices (e.g. you have to reach the upper/lower rim of the screen until the picture vanishes vs. you just swipe upwards oder downwards). My question is whether it is possible to adapt the script that swiping movements suffice as reactions.

Besides, we would like to modify the zooming effect. Instead of the picture size increasing oder decreasing we would like the picture in a 3D-format (3D-effect for edges) to move towards/away from the participant while the picture size only slightly increases/decreases. Would this be possible to implement in Inquisit? We already have an AAT of that kind programmed with Unity, but for us it would be a lot easier if we could conduct it in Inquisit. 

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

Re. swipe movements: I'd need more information on how exactly you'd envision this to work / behave to say whether it's feasible. Offhand, I'm not convinced it can be made to work well, but a more detailed description may change that assessment.

Re. 3-D effect: Inquisit has no support for 3-D objects and no built-in 3-D effects. You'd have to have every frame of your 3-D animation as a separate image, and you can then iterate through those image items depending on response instead of manipulating a single image's size as in the case of the zoom-in / zoom-out effect.
By tanschi - 9/24/2018

Dave - Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

Re. swipe movements: I'd need more information on how exactly you'd envision this to work / behave to say whether it's feasible. Offhand, I'm not convinced it can be made to work well, but a more detailed description may change that assessment.

Re. 3-D effect: Inquisit has no support for 3-D objects and no built-in 3-D effects. You'd have to have every frame of your 3-D animation as a separate image, and you can then iterate through those image items depending on response instead of manipulating a single image's size as in the case of the zoom-in / zoom-out effect.

Thanks for your quick answer!

To make the point concerning the swipe movements more clear: The idea would be to let the pictures be presented automatically (without the participants having to click on the red cross first). Then the pictures can be approached/avoided only by swiping downwards (toward oneself) or swiping upwards (away from onself). It shouldn't matter where exactly the participants touch the screen to start the swiping-movement and how long the touch-movement with the finger on the screen is (just a short swipe should suffice as an impulse of direction for the picture to move). The swiping would only start the movement of the picture, which then would automatically move closer/away and disappear. As soon as the picture finishes its movement and vanishes, the next one would be presented on the screen. 

I hope I described our idea detailed enough this time; if not just tell me!

By Dave - 9/24/2018

Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

To make the point concerning the swipe movements more clear: The idea would be to let the pictures be presented automatically (without the participants having to click on the red cross first). Then the pictures can be approached/avoided only by swiping downwards (toward oneself) or swiping upwards (away from onself). It shouldn't matter where exactly the participants touch the screen to start the swiping-movement and how long the touch-movement with the finger on the screen is (just a short swipe should suffice as an impulse of direction for the picture to move). The swiping would only start the movement of the picture, which then would automatically move closer/away and disappear. As soon as the picture finishes its movement and vanishes, the next one would be presented on the screen. 

Thank you, the description makes it much clearer. Give me some time to think this through, perhaps this can be made to work.
By tanschi - 9/24/2018

Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

Thank you, the description makes it much clearer. Give me some time to think this through, perhaps this can be made to work.

Sure! Just take the time you need, there's no big hurry. And thanks again.
By Dave - 9/25/2018

Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance!
Tanja

Sure! Just take the time you need, there's no big hurry. And thanks again.

I've toyed around with some ideas for swipe-like mechanics, but none of them worked well, I'm afraid. They all felt somewhat unnatural in a way, and were either too jumpy or not responsive enough.

However, what would be possible and perhaps more suited to tablet / touch mechanics than the pseudo-mousemove, would be some kind of "tap" rather than "swipe" mechanic. I.e. one could have two <shape> elements in the background (they need not be visible, but can be), one for "push" covering the upper half of the screen, the other one for "pull" covering the lower half of the screen. Tapping anywhere inside the upper screen half, then, would "zoom out" the target stimulus by a fixed size. Tapping anywhere inside the lower screen half would "zoom in" the stimulus by a fixed size, and people would have to tap repeatedly until the target is either fully zoomed out or fully zoomed in. Might this be a viable alternative for your purposes?