Millisecond Forums

Control Q advancing modules instead of quit

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25935.aspx

By YCANLab - 10/24/2018

Hello,

We notice that when we test our script, we can advance through the modules without completing them if we press Control Q. Interestingly, pressing control Q does not quit out of the experiment, as we would expect (unless it's the last module), but instead as I said advances to the next module. 

Would participants also be able to advance this way? If so it throws the integrity of our experiment off. Is there a way to make sure Control Q quits out of the whole experiment, instead of advancing? I should mention that the modules are built up of multiple scripts that are called from a parent script. 

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!
By Dave - 10/24/2018

YCANLab - Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Hello,

We notice that when we test our script, we can advance through the modules without completing them if we press Control Q. Interestingly, pressing control Q does not quit out of the experiment, as we would expect (unless it's the last module), but instead as I said advances to the next module. 

Would participants also be able to advance this way? If so it throws the integrity of our experiment off. Is there a way to make sure Control Q quits out of the whole experiment, instead of advancing? I should mention that the modules are built up of multiple scripts that are called from a parent script. 

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you!

CTRL+Q terminates the currently running *script*, if your experiment is made up of multiple scripts run via <batch>, then pressing CTRL+Q will end the current script N and the batch will then move on to the next script N+1. If you want to have the entire <batch> terminate, you need to add some additional logic to call the script.abort() function, which can terminate an entire batch optionally. Suppose you have two scripts A and B, then you would do something like this:

a.iqx:
<expt a>
/ ontrialend = [
if (expt.a.response == "Ctrl+'Q'") script.abort(true);
]
/ blocks = [1=myblock]
</expt>

<block myblock>
/ trials = [1-10=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ stimulusframes = [1=mytext]