Millisecond Forums

OSX Reinstall issues

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic25994.aspx

By BryanRoche - 11/4/2018

Hi all - I recently lost my MacBook laptop due to water damage but had a recent backup using Time Machine.   I created a new image of my old laptop on a new MacBook and all works perfectly - except for Inquisit , which detected that the software was on a new computer I guess? It suggested I reinstall.  This does not work -  it will run only in trial mode.  It provides no computer key with which I can generate a new registration key and therefore register it.      I assume what has happened is that there are hidden support files scattered around my computer that are confusing the new install  - these having been inherited from the time machine computer image.  It may look like I am trying to run an old  copy on a new computer - which I am!  But all I want to do is delete that old history fully and use a new licence with my newly installed copy.   Any help greatly appreciated.
By Dave - 11/4/2018

BryanRoche - Monday, November 5, 2018
Hi all - I recently lost my MacBook laptop due to water damage but had a recent backup using Time Machine.   I created a new image of my old laptop on a new MacBook and all works perfectly - except for Inquisit , which detected that the software was on a new computer I guess? It suggested I reinstall.  This does not work -  it will run only in trial mode.  It provides no computer key with which I can generate a new registration key and therefore register it.      I assume what has happened is that there are hidden support files scattered around my computer that are confusing the new install  - these having been inherited from the time machine computer image.  It may look like I am trying to run an old  copy on a new computer - which I am!  But all I want to do is delete that old history fully and use a new licence with my newly installed copy.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Please contact me via private message here at your earliest convenience -- I will provide guidance on how to get rid of any remnants of the previous installation and register the new one.