Millisecond Forums

Issues with intro pictures.htm

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26033.aspx

By kassandral - 11/7/2018

I am running an iat through inquisit, which was purchased and downloaded onto my windows computer. I have all of the files in one folder and they work just fine in the actual survey, but they will not show up on the intro instructions screen. Both the words and images present as X's instead. I downloaded and tried several iats and none of them display the pictures on the instructions page. What could be causing this issue?
By Dave - 11/7/2018

kassandral - Wednesday, November 7, 2018
I am running an iat through inquisit, which was purchased and downloaded onto my windows computer. I have all of the files in one folder and they work just fine in the actual survey, but they will not show up on the intro instructions screen. Both the words and images present as X's instead. I downloaded and tried several iats and none of them display the pictures on the instructions page. What could be causing this issue?

- Which IAT script?
- In which Inquisit version (Help -> About...)?
- Where are the files stored precisely?
- Which operating system?
- Could you please post a screenshot showing this: " Both the words and images present as X's instead." I cannot seem to reproduce this, here, for example is what I see when running the Age IAT script:

By kassandral - 11/8/2018

Dave - Wednesday, November 7, 2018

- Which IAT script?
- Could you please post a screenshot showing this: " Both the words and images present as X's instead." I cannot seem to reproduce this, here, for example is what I see when running the Age IAT script:

Hi, responses below
- Which IAT script?    I am running the sexuality IAT, but I have tried several others and had the same issue, which makes me believe it may be something with my computer software?
- In which Inquisit version (Help -> About...)?  Version 5.0.13.0
- Where are the files stored precisely?  I downloaded the sexuality IAT and then placed the folder on my C drive without changing anything within it. I am able to access the sexuality iat within that folder, but it also contains all of the sample images as well as an intro_pictureiat.htm. I run everything from this folder
- Which operating system?  32 bit op system, Windows 7
I attached a picture of what my intro screen looks like.

Thanks!

By Dave - 11/8/2018

kassandral - Thursday, November 8, 2018

- Which IAT script?

Hi, responses below
- Which IAT script?    I am running the sexuality IAT, but I have tried several others and had the same issue, which makes me believe it may be something with my computer software?
- Where are the files stored precisely?  I downloaded the sexuality IAT and then placed the folder on my C drive without changing anything within it. I am able to access the sexuality iat within that folder, but it also contains all of the sample images as well as an intro_pictureiat.htm. I run everything from this folder

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed responses and screen shot. Given how the page in the screen shot looks, yes, I would suspect the issue is caused by some configuration or sofrware issue on your computer, particularly because the word items aren't shown and because page is displayed without any HTML styling (it's in the wrong color, it doesn't use the font it's actually instructed to use). Under Windows, Inquisit embeds Internet Explorer to render HTML / HTML instruction pages. Possibilities would be:
- Internet Explorer is locked down on your system (e.g. JavaScript disabled, etc.). Check "Internet Options" in the Control Panel, those are the settings applied to IE.
- A browser plugin might be causing the issue (perhaps something installed by your AV software)
- The IE installation might be otherwise broken or out of date (install all available updates per Windows Update).
By kassandral - 11/8/2018

Dave - Thursday, November 8, 2018

- Which IAT script?

Hi, responses below

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed responses and screen shot. Given how the page in the screen shot looks, yes, I would suspect the issue is caused by some configuration or sofrware issue on your computer, particularly because the word items aren't shown and because page is displayed without any HTML styling (it's in the wrong color, it doesn't use the font it's actually instructed to use). Under Windows, Inquisit embeds Internet Explorer to render HTML / HTML instruction pages. Possibilities would be:
- Internet Explorer is locked down on your system (e.g. JavaScript disabled, etc.). Check "Internet Options" in the Control Panel, those are the settings applied to IE.
- A browser plugin might be causing the issue (perhaps something installed by your AV software)
- The IE installation might be otherwise broken or out of date (install all available updates per Windows Update).

Thank you for the suggestions. Everything seems to be up to date, and to my knowledge everything seems to run fine in regards to IE. I am fairly new to working with Inquisit, but why is it IE settings that matter most? I noticed you can change the browser that the intro-pictures open with under properties, and the default of mine seems to be Chrome. So do you have any insight into what I might need to check for in IE to see if this is the issue? That is, how I search for things that are disabled that may be of concern?
By Dave - 11/8/2018

Dave - Thursday, November 8, 2018

- Which IAT script?

Hi, responses below

Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestions. Everything seems to be up to date, and to my knowledge everything seems to run fine in regards to IE. I am fairly new to working with Inquisit, but why is it IE settings that matter most? I noticed you can change the browser that the intro-pictures open with under properties, and the default of mine seems to be Chrome. So do you have any insight into what I might need to check for in IE to see if this is the issue? That is, how I search for things that are disabled that may be of concern?

First, I would check the zone security settings on the Internet Options -> Security tab. Default settings should work fine, if any except the Restricted Site zone are set to "high", I would decrease those to "medium" or reset to default alltogether via the dedicated button.

Add-ons you can check by opening IE, clicking on the settings icon in the right corner and selecting "Manage add-ons". I would temporarily disable anything in the "Toolbars and Extensions" category for testing purposes.

If neither of those things make any difference, I would then go to the "Advanced" tab in Internet Options, and restore the advanced settings or, as a last resort, reset IE to its default settings altogether. Both can be done from the "Advanced" tab.

Inquisit makes use of IE under Windows to render HTML because IE is present on every Windows system, other browsers are not. It does not matter which other browser you may use to browse the web or that you've set some other browser as your default browser, those browsers' settings have no effect on the HTML rendering in Inquisit.