Millisecond Forums

AAT with joystick has error during feedback practice trials

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26122.aspx

By kettch23 - 11/27/2018

Hello all, 
I have previously used the AAT in version 5 with success. I recently moved to a new institution and was going to continue running the AAT (so now, on a new computer). 
I am running version 5 on a dell computer running windows 7 pro with a logitech attack 3 joystick.
The problem is: During practice trials that should have error feedback there is a white box if the joystick continuously moves in the wrong direction. If I stop or hesitate in the wrong direction the error message comes up, but if the movement is smooth there is a gray box but the words "ERROR" do not appear. 

Things I have tried that have no fixed the problem:
1) Tried a new monitor in case there was something off about the refresh rate or aspect ratio (did not fix)
2) Tried a newer computer in case there was a problem with Windows 7 (did not fix)
3) Tried to use just mouse input in case there was something wrong with the joystick (did not fix)
4) Tried changing settings on mouse input in case "fast" scrolling was messing it up (did not fix)
5) Tried changing the background of the words so at least a red box popped up instead of a gray one (did not work - colors remained same)
6) Tried using inquisit web, same problem
7) Finally, out of frustration I downloaded a trial version of 4 and VOILA! It works. Only thing is, I don't have a license for inquisit 4, my license is for 5. 

Is anyone else experiencing this error and if so, how can I fix it? I don't even care if the feedback if different (like a red box, or even an auditory computer "DING"), it is just useful to have the training trials so participants can learn the "portrait" "landscape" distinction. 

I took a video while it happens and can share - I have attached a screen shot of the blank gray square below. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Meghan

By Dave - 11/27/2018

kettch23 - Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Hello all, 
I have previously used the AAT in version 5 with success. I recently moved to a new institution and was going to continue running the AAT (so now, on a new computer). 
I am running version 5 on a dell computer running windows 7 pro with a logitech attack 3 joystick.
The problem is: During practice trials that should have error feedback there is a white box if the joystick continuously moves in the wrong direction. If I stop or hesitate in the wrong direction the error message comes up, but if the movement is smooth there is a gray box but the words "ERROR" do not appear. 

1) Tried a new monitor in case there was something off about the refresh rate or aspect ratio (did not fix)
2) Tried a newer computer in case there was a problem with Windows 7 (did not fix)
3) Tried to use just mouse input in case there was something wrong with the joystick (did not fix)
4) Tried changing settings on mouse input in case "fast" scrolling was messing it up (did not fix)
5) Tried changing the background of the words so at least a red box popped up instead of a gray one (did not work - colors remained same)
7) Finally, out of frustration I downloaded a trial version of 4 and VOILA! It works. Only thing is, I don't have a license for inquisit 4, my license is for 5. 

Is anyone else experiencing this error and if so, how can I fix it? I don't even care if the feedback if different (like a red box, or even an auditory computer "DING"), it is just useful to have the training trials so participants can learn the "portrait" "landscape" distinction. 

I took a video while it happens and can share - I have attached a screen shot of the blank gray square below. 

Meghan

As far as I can tell, the white square results from the erasing of the ERROR stimulus, wich -- in the case of continuous movement -- happens at essentially the same time the stimulus is drawn in the first place. The following changes should do the trick:

Add

<text error>
/ items = ("ERROR")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 5%, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = white
/ txbgcolor = red
/ erase = false
</text>

and

<trial practiceincrease>
/ ontrialbegin = [
if (values.expcondition == 1 && values.targetformat == "l"){
trial.practiceincrease.insertstimulustime(text.error, 0);
} else if (values.expcondition == 2 && values.targetformat == "p"){
};
picture.practicetarget.height = picture.practicetarget.height + values.joystick_change/1000 * expressions.maxheightchange_px;
]
/ stimulusframes = [1 = clearscreen, practicetarget]
</trial>
By kettch23 - 11/27/2018

Dave - Tuesday, November 27, 2018
kettch23 - Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Hello all, 

Meghan

As far as I can tell, the white square results from the erasing of the ERROR stimulus, wich -- in the case of continuous movement -- happens at essentially the same time the stimulus is drawn in the first place. The following changes should do the trick:

Add

<text error>
/ items = ("ERROR")
/ position = (50%, 50%)
/ fontstyle = ("Arial", 5%, true, false, false, false, 5, 0)
/ txcolor = white
/ txbgcolor = red
/ erase = false
</text>

and

<trial practiceincrease>
/ ontrialbegin = [
if (values.expcondition == 1 && values.targetformat == "l"){
} else if (values.expcondition == 2 && values.targetformat == "p"){
};
picture.practicetarget.height = picture.practicetarget.height + values.joystick_change/1000 * expressions.maxheightchange_px;
]
/ stimulusframes = [1 = clearscreen, practicetarget]
</trial>

Amazing! 
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply - the stupid amount of time I spent on this and all I needed to do was post my cry for help in this very helpful forum. 
Thank you again!
Best,
Meghan