Millisecond Forums

responsemessage - give feedback multiple times during single trial

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26125.aspx

By scollin - 11/27/2018

Hi,

I would like participants to watch a (single) video (in below example 'learning1' item), and then have the participant respond to multiple questions throughout the video with the key presses K or L. I would like to show some brief feedback somewhere on the screen when they have pressed a button (just to indicate to them that their response is being logged). e.g. for duration of 1 sec after button press. Is this possible? It can be any feedback indication (text, image,...) and any location, as long as it indicates to them that they have responded. Meanwhile I am logging all responses and latencies within that trial (which does work in below example).

I thought it would be possible with /responsemessage in the trial in the following way but it does not seem to work.

<trial learning1>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.responses="";values.latency=""]
/ stimulustimes = [1=learning1]
/ isvalidresponse = [{values.responses=concat(concat(values.responses, ","), trial.learning1.response); false;}; {values.latency=concat(concat(values.latency, ","), trial.learning1.latency); false;}]
/ validresponse = ("k", "l")
/ responsemessage = ("k", respondedFeedback, 1000)
/ responsemessage = ("l", respondedFeedback, 1000)
/ recorddata = true
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ responseinterrupt = trial
/ timeout = 5400000
</trial>

respondedFeedback is currently a small image:

<picture respondedFeedback>
/ items = ("correct_symbol.jpg")
/ position = (10, 10)
</picture>

I've tried to make the video really small just to see whether the image might be presented below the video (and therefore not visible) but this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for any help!
By Dave - 11/27/2018

scollin - Tuesday, November 27, 2018
Hi,

I would like participants to watch a (single) video (in below example 'learning1' item), and then have the participant respond to multiple questions throughout the video with the key presses K or L. I would like to show some brief feedback somewhere on the screen when they have pressed a button (just to indicate to them that their response is being logged). e.g. for duration of 1 sec after button press. Is this possible? It can be any feedback indication (text, image,...) and any location, as long as it indicates to them that they have responded. Meanwhile I am logging all responses and latencies within that trial (which does work in below example).

I thought it would be possible with /responsemessage in the trial in the following way but it does not seem to work.

<trial learning1>
/ ontrialbegin = [values.responses="";values.latency=""]
/ stimulustimes = [1=learning1]
/ isvalidresponse = [{values.responses=concat(concat(values.responses, ","), trial.learning1.response); false;}; {values.latency=concat(concat(values.latency, ","), trial.learning1.latency); false;}]
/ validresponse = ("k", "l")
/ responsemessage = ("k", respondedFeedback, 1000)
/ responsemessage = ("l", respondedFeedback, 1000)
/ recorddata = true
/ beginresponsetime = 0
/ inputdevice = keyboard
/ responseinterrupt = trial
/ timeout = 5400000
</trial>

respondedFeedback is currently a small image:

<picture respondedFeedback>
/ items = ("correct_symbol.jpg")
/ position = (10, 10)
</picture>

I've tried to make the video really small just to see whether the image might be presented below the video (and therefore not visible) but this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for any help!

It's not possible with the kind of single-trial setup you have. You would have to run multiple trials instead, while the video is displayed in the background per the <block>'s /bgstim. I.e. something like this:

https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost16437.aspx