Millisecond Forums

distorted presentation of response options in survey

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26128.aspx

By wanda - 11/28/2018

Hello everybody,
i have a problem with the presentation of a survey, more precisely with the way the response options are presented. You can see the "warped" answers below, i have no idea why they look this way. Can anybody help me? This problem only appears on one computer and apperently only with very long response options, on my laptop everything works out fine and i don't know what to do. What i tried so far was to alter item spacing and manually create shorter items or press enter at a certain point to skip to the next line (this worked in the past). Nothing worked so far, it would be great if anybody knew a solution. Thank you so much!
Best regards.

By Dave - 11/28/2018

wanda - Wednesday, November 28, 2018
Hello everybody,
i have a problem with the presentation of a survey, more precisely with the way the response options are presented. You can see the "warped" answers below, i have no idea why they look this way. Can anybody help me? This problem only appears on one computer and apperently only with very long response options, on my laptop everything works out fine and i don't know what to do. What i tried so far was to alter item spacing and manually create shorter items or press enter at a certain point to skip to the next line (this worked in the past). Nothing worked so far, it would be great if anybody knew a solution. Thank you so much!
Best regards.

Could you please share the actual script (to attach files to a post, click +Insert -> Add File...) as well as some details about the computer exhibiting the problem, particulary operating system (type and version) as well as the screen resolution?
By wanda - 11/28/2018

Hey Dave,
sure, i attached the actual file below.
The computer is a dell optiplex 780 and operates on windows 7 professional (64 bit) as far as i know. The screen resolution is 1920x1200 and the screen refresh rate (don't know if thats the actual translation) is 59 hertz. If that's useful, here are some details about the graphics board: it's an intel Q45/Q46 Express chipset with a full capacity of 1965 MB. Do you need any other information? Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!

By Dave - 11/28/2018

wanda - Thursday, November 29, 2018
Hey Dave,
sure, i attached the actual file below.
The computer is a dell optiplex 780 and operates on windows 7 professional (64 bit) as far as i know. The screen resolution is 1920x1200 and the screen refresh rate (don't know if thats the actual translation) is 59 hertz. If that's useful, here are some details about the graphics board: it's an intel Q45/Q46 Express chipset with a full capacity of 1965 MB. Do you need any other information? Thank you for your help, i really appreciate it!

Thanks for the script and the technical details -- I'll see if I can reproduce this and figure out what the issue is.

Two more quick questions:
- Is the Inquisit 4 version installed on that Windows 7 machine the latest release (4.0.10.0) or an older version?
- Are the relative dimensions (width & height of the white area) of screenshot you included in your original post representative of how things actually look or has it been cropped or extended? I'm asking because those relative dimensions (width and height of the image) don't seem to match the dimensions I'd expect to see with resolution set to 1920 x 1200.

Offhand, though, one thing that *might* be a viable workaround would be to add new lines to the beginning and end of the (longer) options, such as to space things out better. I.e. like so:

<radiobuttons q2>
/caption = "Wie häufig treten diese Gedanken oder Vorstellungen auf?"
/ options = ("Nie", "Nicht häufiger als 8 Mal am Tag", "Häufiger als 8 Mal am Tag, aber die meisten Stunden am Tag sind frei davon", "Mehr als 8 Mal am Tag und während der meisten Stunden des Tages", "~nDie Gedanken treten so häufig auf, dass man sie nicht mehr zählen kann, und es vergeht kaum eine Stunde, in der sie nicht auftreten.~n")
/ optionvalues = ("0", "1", "2", "3", "4")
/required = true
/orientation = vertical
</radiobuttons>
By wanda - 11/29/2018

Apparently the installed Version is 4.0.9.0, therefore not the latest version and below you'll find an unaltered screemnshot with proper dimensions, hope that's helpful.
I tried this "~n" and it worked! Actually even just changing the responsefontstyle (height) worked too, i simply forgot about that. Thanks again for all your help!