Millisecond Forums

Weird eyetracker data

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26417.aspx

By Willem - 2/11/2019

I'm currently running an eyetracker experiment with Inquisit 5 and the data I've been getting seem a bit weird.

I've attached some data as an example. 

In this dataset you can see that sometimes the pupil measures are seen as valid, but if you look at the actual measurements you can see that the same value is being repeated for multiple rows. One example can be found at row 468, where the same value is repeated for hundreds of measurements. Shouldn't this be tagged as an invalid measure?

Sometimes the validity code does indicate an invalid measure, for example at row 962, and there we also see the same value being repeated. 

I'm afraid something is going wrong with the eyetracker recordings.
By Willem - 2/11/2019

Further checking of the data shows me that some rows are duplicated in their entirety. Even the timestamps are are duplicated. 

I'm not sure what is going on here.
By Dave - 2/11/2019

Willem - Tuesday, February 12, 2019
Further checking of the data shows me that some rows are duplicated in their entirety. Even the timestamps are are duplicated. 

Which version have you been using to obtain that data, if I may ask? (See Help -> About Inquisit...)
By Willem - 2/12/2019

Dave - Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Which version have you been using to obtain that data, if I may ask? (See Help -> About Inquisit...)

By Dave - 2/12/2019

Thanks, could you check whether you're seeing the same duplication issue with the current version (5.0.14.0; https://www.millisecond.com/download/)? Also, would it be possible to share the script used to collect the data as well as the eyetracker model used?
By Willem - 2/12/2019

Thanks, could you check whether you're seeing the same duplication issue with the current version (5.0.14.0; https://www.millisecond.com/download/)? Also, would it be possible to share the script used to collect the data as well as the eyetracker model used?

I've installed the latest version and I'm still using the same patterns. I also tried it out with one of the pupil scripts from the Test Library, and there it also happens. I'll attach both the script I used and the data I got from it. I tested this on a Tobii Spectrum Pro at 120 Hz. The other eye tracker we have is a Tobii T60, at 60 Hz, where I also see the same problem.

By Willem - 2/12/2019

I've installed the latest version and I'm still using the same patterns. I also tried it out with one of the pupil scripts from the Test Library, and there it also happens. I'll attach both the script I used and the data I got from it. I tested this on a Tobii Spectrum Pro at 120 Hz. The other eye tracker we have is a Tobii T60, at 60 Hz, where I also see the same problem.

seeing* the same patterns.
By Dave - 2/13/2019

seeing* the same patterns.

Thank you for the additional details and confirmation. We're investigating the issue and hope to have a fix out in short order. I will update this thread as soon as it is available.
By Dave - 2/15/2019

Dave - Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Thank you for the additional details and confirmation. We're investigating the issue and hope to have a fix out in short order. I will update this thread as soon as it is available.

We think we've fixed the duplicate recordings issue, and an updated 5.0.14.0 build is available here:

https://staginginquisit.millisecond.com/5/5_0_14_0/win/Inquisit_50140.exe

It would be great if you could give this build a try at your earliest convenience and let us know whether you're still seeing duplicate records with either of your setups. Thanks so much!
By Willem - 2/17/2019

Dave - Friday, February 15, 2019

We think we've fixed the duplicate recordings issue, and an updated 5.0.14.0 build is available here:

It would be great if you could give this build a try at your earliest convenience and let us know whether you're still seeing duplicate records with either of your setups. Thanks so much!

I just tried it out on the pupilsize script and it seems have fixed the issue; thanks!
By Willem - 5/23/2019

Willem - 2/17/2019
Dave - Friday, February 15, 2019

I just tried it out on the pupilsize script and it seems have fixed the issue; thanks!

I have since checked out the data a bit more, and while it has been much improved, there are still some duplicates in the data. However, it seems that this does not apply to the timestamps. Everything but the timestamps seems to be repeated across multiple rows of data, sometimes. I have attached some example data. At row 398 you can see some duplicate rows (except for the timestamps). I recorded this data with a Tobii Pro Spectrum at 150 Hz, using the pupilsize example script.