Millisecond Forums

Inquisit questions

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26716.aspx

By avl21 - 4/4/2019

Hello and thank you in advance for your help, I have three questions that I cant seem to get the answers too.

1. My project is a picture IAT. I used the default picture IAT file from millisecond and adjusted it with my own pictures. When I run the test on the lab free trial, I have no problems with the pictures showing up before the test (where is shows a summary of all the pictures and the terms) or during the test. However when I run the test on the web version I have no problem seeing the pictures during the test but at the summary before the test actually starts where it shows all the pictures/terms the pictures are not showing up and show an invalid picture X instead. It is frusturating because it seems the pictures work during the test but just do not show up during the instruction portion. The picture files are all .tif files if that can help explain. Below is a picture of what I am seeing in the web version.

2. On the picture IAT, it says that expression DA = d score of the first blocks and expression DB = d score of the second blocks. What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that expression DA = d score of the practice trials (trial 1, 2 and 5) and expression DB = d score of the test blocks (trial 3,4,6 and 7)? OR does it mean that expressions DA = d score of first set of test blocks (trial 3 and 6) and expressions DB = d score of the second set of test blocks (trial 4 and 7) ? Hope this makes sense as it is kinda confusing. 

3. When using inquisit web I see that I can edit script and assign subject IDs and group IDS. Currently I have subject IDs as sequential as this is not as important for us and a sequential ordering is fine. However im having trouble with group IDS. Is it possible to link the group ID to a question in our demographic survey? One of our quesitons is if the person is a health care provider with the answer choices Yes or No. We would like to have it that depending on what the test taker answers (yes = group 1 and no = group 2) they will be assigned to a group ID accordingly. I see that group ID has a URL parameter option but I cannot seem to figure out how this works. 

Sorry if this is confusing and if you need more info please let me know. This is my first time using the software and I hope you guys can help!

Thanks!
By Dave - 4/4/2019

avl21 - Thursday, April 4, 2019
Hello and thank you in advance for your help, I have three questions that I cant seem to get the answers too.

1. My project is a picture IAT. I used the default picture IAT file from millisecond and adjusted it with my own pictures. When I run the test on the lab free trial, I have no problems with the pictures showing up before the test (where is shows a summary of all the pictures and the terms) or during the test. However when I run the test on the web version I have no problem seeing the pictures during the test but at the summary before the test actually starts where it shows all the pictures/terms the pictures are not showing up and show an invalid picture X instead. It is frusturating because it seems the pictures work during the test but just do not show up during the instruction portion. The picture files are all .tif files if that can help explain. Below is a picture of what I am seeing in the web version.

2. On the picture IAT, it says that expression DA = d score of the first blocks and expression DB = d score of the second blocks. What does this mean exactly? Does this mean that expression DA = d score of the practice trials (trial 1, 2 and 5) and expression DB = d score of the test blocks (trial 3,4,6 and 7)? OR does it mean that expressions DA = d score of first set of test blocks (trial 3 and 6) and expressions DB = d score of the second set of test blocks (trial 4 and 7) ? Hope this makes sense as it is kinda confusing. 

3. When using inquisit web I see that I can edit script and assign subject IDs and group IDS. Currently I have subject IDs as sequential as this is not as important for us and a sequential ordering is fine. However im having trouble with group IDS. Is it possible to link the group ID to a question in our demographic survey? One of our quesitons is if the person is a health care provider with the answer choices Yes or No. We would like to have it that depending on what the test taker answers (yes = group 1 and no = group 2) they will be assigned to a group ID accordingly. I see that group ID has a URL parameter option but I cannot seem to figure out how this works. 

Sorry if this is confusing and if you need more info please let me know. This is my first time using the software and I hope you guys can help!

Thanks!

Re. #1: I can't say anything about that without the link to the experiment's start page.

Re. #2: See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic3444.aspx ; da is the score for the first two (usually shorter) combined blocks; db is the score for the 2nd two (usually longer) combined blocks; d is the overall score encompassing all the combined blocks.

Re. #3: Group IDs are used to assign between-subjects conditions in the IAT, that is: different block orders, compatible first vs incompatible first. You cannot link a group ID to a question if you are collecting the demographics in the Inquisit experiment itself; the group ID has to be known before the experiment starts. If you are using an external survey platform for the demographics, however, you can have the start page read in the group ID from a query parameter value passed by the survey platform to Inquisit. See https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/interopsurveys.htm
You can find multiple examples on this forum, e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost19411.aspx
It is the external survey platform that would have to take care of forwarding the parameter and setting it to the proper value based on the response to the yes/no question.

By avl21 - 4/5/2019

Dave - Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thanks!

Re. #1: I can't say anything about that without the link to the experiment's start page.

Re. #2: See https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic3444.aspx ; da is the score for the first two (usually shorter) combined blocks; db is the score for the 2nd two (usually longer) combined blocks; d is the overall score encompassing all the combined blocks.

Re. #3: Group IDs are used to assign between-subjects conditions in the IAT, that is: different block orders, compatible first vs incompatible first. You cannot link a group ID to a question if you are collecting the demographics in the Inquisit experiment itself; the group ID has to be known before the experiment starts. If you are using an external survey platform for the demographics, however, you can have the start page read in the group ID from a query parameter value passed by the survey platform to Inquisit. See https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/howto/interopsurveys.htm
You can find multiple examples on this forum, e.g. https://www.millisecond.com/forums/FindPost19411.aspx
It is the external survey platform that would have to take care of forwarding the parameter and setting it to the proper value based on the response to the yes/no question.

Thank you for your response, in regards to the pictures not showing up here is the link to the study: https://mili2nd.co/tsmb 

The picture files are all .tif
By Dave - 4/7/2019

avl21 - Friday, April 5, 2019
Dave - Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thanks!

Thank you for your response, in regards to the pictures not showing up here is the link to the study: https://mili2nd.co/tsmb 

The picture files are all .tif

Thanks for the link. I've fixed the issue in your script -- for technical reasons, file names are changed to all lowercase during upload and that can lead to problems when file names in the script are given in a different casing. As a defensive programming practice, it's best to keep all file names to strictly lowercase characters in the script, i.e.

<item targetA>
/1 = "clp1.tif"
/2 = "clp2.tif"
/3 = "clp3.tif"
/4 = "clp4.tif"
/5 = "clp5.tif"
/6 = "clp6.tif"
/7 = "clp7.tif"
/8 = "clp8.tif"
</item>

<item targetB>
/1 = "con1.tif"
/2 = "con2.tif"
/3 = "con3.tif"
/4 = "con4.tif"
/5 = "con5.tif"
/6 = "con6.tif"
/7 = "con7.tif"
/8 = "con8.tif"
</item>

By the way, the images are fairly large, which makes them slow to load. You may want to convert them to a different format (e.g. JPG) to speed up your experiment's overall loading time.