Millisecond Forums

Reading order of blocks in data

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic26812.aspx

By linatet - 4/16/2019

Hi,

My version is actually 5, but for some reason I am not allowed to post on the Inquisit 5 forum.
I want to know how I can identify in the data the order participants saw the blocks. This is the part of the script I divide conditions:

<expt conditionA>
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ groupassignment = random
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionB>
/ subjects = (2 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionC>
/ subjects = (3 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionD>
/ subjects = (4 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionE>
/ subjects = (5 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionF>
/ subjects = (6 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionG>
/ subjects = (7 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionH>
/ subjects = (8 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

Note that the assignment is random and not by subject number or condition. How can I see in the study data the order participants saw the blocks? Thank you so much!!

By Dave - 4/16/2019

linatet - Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Hi,

My version is actually 5, but for some reason I am not allowed to post on the Inquisit 5 forum.
I want to know how I can identify in the data the order participants saw the blocks. This is the part of the script I divide conditions:

<expt conditionA>
/ subjects = (1 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionB>
/ subjects = (2 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=test; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionC>
/ subjects = (3 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=category_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionD>
/ subjects = (4 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=intro_implicit; 3=category_implicit; 4=faces_explicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionE>
/ subjects = (5 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionF>
/ subjects = (6 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=test; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionG>
/ subjects = (7 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=category_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

<expt conditionH>
/ subjects = (8 of 8)
/ blocks = [1=inst; 2=faces_explicit; 3=intro_implicit; 4=category_implicit; 5=demographics]
</expt>

Note that the assignment is random and not by subject number or condition. How can I see in the study data the order participants saw the blocks? Thank you so much!!

You can do one of four things:
(1) Look at the raw data files, where you'll directly see in which order the blocks were run.
(2) Choose a different /groupassignment method (subjectnumber or groupnumber), then you can directly infer the order from the automatically logged subject or group variable in your data files (see https://www.millisecond.com/forums/Topic13856.aspx).
(3) Log script.groupassignmentcode to the data file(s) as in

<expt>
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=a; 2=b]
</expt>

<expt>
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=b; 2=a]
</expt>

<block a>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block b>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ trialduration = 10
</trial>

<summarydata>
/ columns = (script.groupassignmentcode)
</summarydata>

and then you can apply the same method detailed under (2) to the groupassignmentcode variable (https://www.millisecond.com/support/docs/v5/html/language/properties/groupassignmentcode.htm).

(4) Record the order in a <values> entry /onexptbegin and log that value to the data file:

<values>
/ blockorder = 0
</values>

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
values.blockorder = 1;
]
/ subjects = (1 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=a; 2=b]
</expt>

<expt>
/ onexptbegin = [
values.blockorder = 2;
]
/ subjects = (2 of 2)
/ blocks = [1=b; 2=a]
</expt>

<block a>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<block b>
/ trials = [1=mytrial]
</block>

<trial mytrial>
/ trialduration = 10
</trial>

<summarydata>
/ columns = (values.blockorder)
</summarydata>

By linatet - 4/16/2019

Thank you for the reply!
Regarding number 1, how do I see the block order in the data file? Sorry if this is a simple question, but I can't find it. 
I can tell which blocks participants saw based on the answers, but not which order.
By Dave - 4/16/2019

linatet - Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Thank you for the reply!
Regarding number 1, how do I see the block order in the data file? Sorry if this is a simple question, but I can't find it. 
I can tell which blocks participants saw based on the answers, but not which order.

Typically, your *raw* data files will have "blockcode" and "blocknum" columns, which you can read top to down:

Here the order is A -> B

And here the order is B -> A

By linatet - 4/16/2019

Thank you so much!! You are a great help.