Millisecond Forums

blank screen at the end of the RSPAN

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic27353.aspx

By iwona.w - 7/1/2019

Hello all, 

This is the first time I'm using the platform and I have a problem running the RSPAN test. I tried to do a few test trials and at the end of the experiment instead of showing the score and closing the software displays a blank screen. It can only be closed by CTRL+Q - nothing else works. After pressing CTRL+Q, it displays the score for a fraction of a second (impossible to see it) and closes.  For obvious reasons, I can’t distribute it to participants in this state. Did anyone here come across a similar problem? 

Iwona 
By Dave - 7/1/2019

iwona.w - 7/1/2019
Hello all, 

This is the first time I'm using the platform and I have a problem running the RSPAN test. I tried to do a few test trials and at the end of the experiment instead of showing the score and closing the software displays a blank screen. It can only be closed by CTRL+Q - nothing else works. After pressing CTRL+Q, it displays the score for a fraction of a second (impossible to see it) and closes.  For obvious reasons, I can’t distribute it to participants in this state. Did anyone here come across a similar problem? 

Iwona 

The blank screen is by design. What follows is the score report, which is normally designed for the experimenter's eyes only.

The score report trial expects a press on the spacebar to advance from the blank screen to the on-screen score report. It expects another press on the spacebar to terminate the task.
The relevant parts of the code are the /pretrialsignal and /posttrialsignal attributes in <trial score_report>:

<trial score_report>
/ stimulusframes = [1=scorereport]
/ pretrialsignal = (keyboard, 57)
/ validresponse = (lbuttondown)
/ posttrialsignal = (keyboard, 57)
/ recorddata = false
</trial>

You can remove these if you want participants to easily view their scores. If you do not wish to display scores to participants at the end at all, simply remove the score_report trial from the final instructions block:

<block InstrFinal>
/ trials = [1=instructions; 2=score_report]
/ recorddata = false
</block>