Millisecond Forums

The block order

https://forums.millisecond.com/Topic27533.aspx

By missnatalien - 7/30/2019

Hello,
I have a question regarding the order of the blocks. With seven blocks, blocks 1, 2, and 5 are practice and a person just has either attributes or targets to match it to the proper category. The blocks 3&4 can be either compatible or incompatible, same with 6&7.
My question is: does the order matter? Does it matter what blocks go first? Compatible or incompatible?
I have only found information that for some subjects blocks 1, 3 & 4 are switched with blocks 5, 6 & & (Greenwald, Nosek, and Banaji, 2003). It is done so to reduce the effect of order. My question is: do I do that manually? Or does the program do it on its own?
If it has to be done manually, is there any research regarding the effect of order in the IAT? I was trying to find something but unfortunately, I haven't found anything.

I will be forever grateful for some answers!!
By Dave - 7/30/2019

missnatalien - 7/30/2019
Hello,
I have a question regarding the order of the blocks. With seven blocks, blocks 1, 2, and 5 are practice and a person just has either attributes or targets to match it to the proper category. The blocks 3&4 can be either compatible or incompatible, same with 6&7.
My question is: does the order matter? Does it matter what blocks go first? Compatible or incompatible?
I have only found information that for some subjects blocks 1, 3 & 4 are switched with blocks 5, 6 & & (Greenwald, Nosek, and Banaji, 2003). It is done so to reduce the effect of order. My question is: do I do that manually? Or does the program do it on its own?
If it has to be done manually, is there any research regarding the effect of order in the IAT? I was trying to find something but unfortunately, I haven't found anything.

I will be forever grateful for some answers!!

Block order in the IAT scripts is counterbalanced between subjects.

Odd group numbers receive compatible first,

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (iatintro)
/subjects = (1 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/ blocks = [
1=targetcompatiblepractice;
2=attributepractice;
3=compatibletest1;
4=compatibletestinstructions;
5=compatibletest2;
6=targetincompatiblepractice;
7=incompatibletest1;
8=incompatibletestinstructions;
9=incompatibletest2;
10=summary;
]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

even group numbers receive incompatible first:

<expt>
/ preinstructions = (iatintro)
/subjects = (2 of 2)
/groupassignment = groupnumber
/ blocks = [
1=targetincompatiblepractice;
2=attributepractice;
3=incompatibletest1;
4=incompatibletestinstructions;
5=incompatibletest2;
6=targetcompatiblepractice;
7=compatibletest1;
8=compatibletestinstructions;
9=compatibletest2;
10=summary;
]
/onexptend = [values.completed = 1]
</expt>

Order effects have been investigated, see e.g. https://faculty.washington.edu/agg/IATmaterials/PDFs/NGB2005.PSPB.pdf (you should read the entire "Understanding and Using the Implicit Association Test" series of articles).
By missnatalien - 7/30/2019

So I do put them manually by changing the group number.
Thank you for your answer, as you could see I was going through it (the article I mentioned is one from the series you mentioned) but thanks for pointing me into the right direction! I have found the information I needed about the order in the fourth article from the series (in case anyone else is looking for is as well!)
Thank you!